Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Im probably going to order the engine at the end of this month, so i want to know what you guys who have replaced there engines have broken them in?

thanks

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
Initial start up, go straight to 2,000 - 2,500 rpm and hold that for 15 - 20 min for cam break in. Change oil. Then first 500 miles, easy-normal driving,Don't Stomp on the gas during this time(that's hard). Change oil again. Drive and be merry.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
make sure you prime the motor by turning the oil pump and making sure it flows oil to all of the rockers arm and such. then make sure you have all of the proper fluid like antifreeze, oil(i hope you got this one priming it), GAS!! lol
then when you get it started this is where everyone has their own ways.
I get it started set the timing then rev it to 2000rpm for 20 min watching everything, making sure it has good pressure in oil and temp stays decent.
let it cool down and drain the oil and replace the filter and oil. go over the bolts, and make sure they are tight as this run will loosen them sometime.if everything is happy fire it up again and start tuning the carb and timing for max. power.

i have hear people just drive it when they get it started, then i heard they just hit it to 2000rpm as soon as it starts not even messing with timing.

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
I ran mine at 2500 rpms for 45 minutes, changed the oil, drove it 100 miles changed the oil, 200, 500, 1000, 2000 dizzy gear sheered off, pulled engine and pan cleaned it out drove the crap out of it after that, then at 5000 I ran Synthetic, didnt really like it (oil pressure to damn high) so Ive been back to regular castrol ever since

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so basically I just let it run wihtout a load at 2000-2500 rpms for 15-45 minutes, and then change oil, and then drive some more not gunning it or anything, and ahnge the oil, then drive some more and change the oil some more. sounds good.

lol

·
Registered
119 Posts
Definatlly break in the cam. changing oil before 500 miles is optional. Here is where my opinion differs. Drive it like you stole it, or at least how you plan on driving after "breakin" it in. Give it a couple of heat cycles then turn up the wick if that's how you drive.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
Is the cam break-in the same for roller and non-roller cams?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
that is a good question, roller has less friction and all but to be safe i would to get everything else broken-in good.

the main point behind the changing oil after running it, is to remove any trash you put in it when you built it, and also to check for metal flakes. shouldn't have alot of it but if you do, something is wrong.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
and yea i hear that too facn8me, drive it like you going to drive it, if you drive it hard do that. but it is all on the beholder. Come to think of it, after the break-in period i am going racing with it so i guess you could say i am doing that lol.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Not to toss some sand in the lube sorta..

I have a link someplace about engine break-in....

basicly with ring package and cyl. hone tech. of today rings almost have an instant seat. It seems that after prim. the engine and startup to drive it like your going to drive it for its reg. life....so if your going to be hard drive it hard, just not ALL the way to the wall.

It seems the hard excell/decell of the engine under load will help keep blow by/engine gasses from getting into the cyl./chamber.

Run dino oil for the first 500 or so miles to make sure the rings seat then whatever you want.

on a side note has anyone ever seen or been to a auto plant tour??? they are not exactly NICE to the cars on there first trip...they run the piss out of them.

I am trying to find that link. It was a REALY good link about it and had preaty good proof from a few engine tear downs.

Here is the link http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
interesting read

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
I dont think there is a break in for a roller cam, but I did it anyway. Also I was told 5000 miles(synthetic) might be because it was a stock bore brand new block, I had blow by (well dirty oil) for the first 1000 miles or so. The cleaner the oil in your engine is the better, I didnt want to risk anything after laying down so much $$

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
ahh but what kind of oil? regular or non-detergent?

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i will probably do a little of both. my dad was telling me that when he broke in his motors, that he would let it idle for 20-30 minutes. let it cool down, change the oil, then drive it like he normally would for 500-1000 miles a week or so, and then change the oil again, then he would be all good and just change the oil every two weeks two more times. i guess the engine i buy will have instructions so i will follow them. is there a way yo hook upa temporary tach as i dont have one on my truck

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Something to add, I always change the filtre the same time I change the oil.

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
umm why would you change the oil and not the filter?

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
some people do.

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
weirdos

they must be canadians

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
them ppl are messed up, so anyone with an answer to my question?

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
Ive heard of people that change only the filter and then add a qt of oil:twak

1 - 20 of 23 Posts