Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My ride is getting pretty tired engine-wise. I am a bit torn between my options. Could use a little experienced feedback here.

I can throw a stock HO crate motor in it and be done (using all my SD inj and crap.) This seems the simplest job and I am leaning this way. I don't think the SD intake will feed more than 250 horses so a factory HO 351 is prolly about max if not exact replacement engine.

I know how to build a motor. I could swap in a carbed 375/400hp 351w and I'd be really happy, but the E4OD would never act right unless I can address that. This is my preferred option if there is a simple way to manage the trans with a different computer. (i don't know jack about that though, which one? is there one?)

#3 swap the motor and trans: this one I think I want to do least but if I did, which trans is the smart one to use AOD?

I'm looking for feedback from anyone that has dealt with this before. I'm a pretty good tech, but I'm starting with a plan and want to save myself hassles.

Fire away! :beer

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,097 Posts
:thumbup

My ride is getting pretty tired engine-wise. I am a bit torn between my options. Could use a little experienced feedback here.

I can throw a stock HO crate motor in it and be done (using all my SD inj and crap.) This seems the simplest job and I am leaning this way. I don't think the SD intake will feed more than 250 horses so a factory HO 351 is prolly about max if not exact replacement engine.
You'll probably be fine depending which cam comes with it. I'm running the E303 "WHICH" isn't suppose to work with SD but it does in my truck and just fine too.

I know how to build a motor. I could swap in a carbed 375/400hp 351w and I'd be really happy, but the E4OD would never act right unless I can address that. This is my preferred option if there is a simple way to manage the trans with a different computer. (i don't know jack about that though, which one? is there one?)
I recommend not going this route. Keep the fuel injection. But, you can get a stand alone controller for the trans.

#3 swap the motor and trans: this one I think I want to do least but if I did, which trans is the smart one to use AOD?
AOD??? Don't :twak That's not nearly as strong of a trans as your E4OD. The E4OD and the C6 are basically the same except the E4OD has overdrive. Both are stronger transmissions than the AOD.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"tired" means the following. Well maintained yet unable to break the tires loose on wet pavement. 270k miles, all stock. many new sensors etc. Smells like it burns oil, but does not smoke yet. wide open throttle at 70mph and I can not pass a motor home in a 1/2 mile passing lane. pretty much a gutless turd above 3k rpm. I'm sure the chain and cam is worn out. Doesn't even sound good with new exhaust, but does not have a miss. Oil pressure is nice. feels like about 160 hp. So as to my original question. How can a guy build a strong engine and have it feel right when you'e stuck with the E4OD? Just drop in a crate 240hp stocker and call it good? Will SD injection feed a 300hp engine with better heads and a small cam?

·
Registered
764 Posts
"tired" means the following. Well maintained yet unable to break the tires loose on wet pavement. 270k miles, all stock. many new sensors etc. Smells like it burns oil, but does not smoke yet. wide open throttle at 70mph and I can not pass a motor home in a 1/2 mile passing lane. pretty much a gutless turd above 3k rpm. I'm sure the chain and cam is worn out. Doesn't even sound good with new exhaust, but does not have a miss. Oil pressure is nice. feels like about 160 hp. So as to my original question. How can a guy build a strong engine and have it feel right when you'e stuck with the E4OD? Just drop in a crate 240hp stocker and call it good? Will SD injection feed a 300hp engine with better heads and a small cam?
I'm assuming your engine is a 302. I would definitely stick with the E4OD (and if it's tired, it can be built up quite nicely with good aftermarket support), but the stock 302 in a Bronco leaves a lot to be desired so a performance rebuild, similar to what the 5.0 Mustang guys do would be a great idea. A good set of your favorite aluminum heads, a nice roller cam, roller rockers, fresh rings, maybe higher compression, and some headers would put you in the 320-400 hp range at the crank depending on parts selection. Plenty of power for a Bronco. An aftermarket intake would also be top on my list, as would 24 lb/hr injectors and a potential EEC upgrade to MAF and a Moates Quarterhorse to tune it.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It sounds like there is no way to get any real power with SD intake. What is the most HP you have ever heard of using stock injection?

·
Registered
764 Posts
I'm generating 600 hp (supercharged) with the stock injection rails and fuel lines, so I don't think it's a function of that at all. Power comes from increased airflow, so throttle bodies, cams, heads, headers, and intakes are where it's at.

·
Eric
2,625 Posts
They have a TPS sensor for carb'd applications, now, so that you can run an electronic tranny in conjunction. Seen here.

You can, also, "Band-Aid" slightly more HP out of the SD system by installing an adjustable FPR and bumping the pressure. The Adaptive Control in the EEC will only tune it out if it doesn't need the extra fuel. The VE tables in the EEC's programming are factory set, so, it's harder to move a shit-ton more air without tuning. However, a HO motor would swap in fine.

I noticed you were running stock gears. A crate motor with some 4.56's would put a smile on your face. It's more about TQ and TQ multiplication than HP. "Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races." -Enzo Ferrari

My $0.02,
Eric

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
just a random - not well thought out - suggestion/thought

a clogged CAT has given many a truck a bad name, when all they needed was cleared up exhaust flow.

They arent made to be hot rods, but you should be able to pass a fart in a breeze. if you catch my drift.
If its as bad as you say it is, and you have no codes, and that many miles, a check on the ol catalytic converter may be in order.

I second steve's checks on compression, oil psi and fuel psi also.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No cat, new dual short exhaust. I was thinking about a set of 4:11s to liven things up. Truthfully, I'd trade 9mpg with some hp for a turd getting 12 mpg anyway. I'm looking at a 460 drivetrain in a buddies wrecked f250 as a donor. I really dont care too much about mileage at this point. Mine sucks anyway.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Here goes
Yup, I have a rig with and AOD and it is a POS. No way comparable with my E4OD. The AOD is a throwback to before automatics had good design engineers.
Get a rebuild or crate 351 and use all your efi and be thrilled with the result.
Going back to ancient things like AODs and carbs will not please you. Its done all the time by guys that are afraid of EFI or think carbs are just cheaper. You have EFI - use it and it will be cheaper than a new carb setup and will work just fine.
=========

I'm looking for feedback from anyone that has dealt with this before. I'm a pretty good tech, but I'm starting with a plan and want to save myself hassles.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Unless you want to work on it and tinker. Stay away from a carb setup. Stay away from stock AOD's with big engines and tires, you will break transmission parts.

Silver70 that electric sensor is bad-ass. I wish I knew those existed when I did my C-6 to AOD swap because I would have done a C-6 to E4OD.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I recently retrofitted my '71 Mustang with a 351W turning a late model 4R70W. I used EEC-V to control everything since it includes EDIS8, the trans controller, and the EFI. My Bronco has a 400 in it, so the bellhousing bolt pattern doesn't match, but I've thought about dropping a 351C or 351W in there and mating that to an Explorer 4R70W before. That would make for a sweet setup in a Bronco, but I'm a little unsure of towing capacity since the 4R was definitely made for lighter vehicles. Not that I tow with my Bronco, but...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts