Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently at work so search time is limited. But here is what happened. I was leaving the parking garage after getting back in town last night. I got about 1/2 mile out of the garage and the engine went dead. I still have all electrical as far as I know, the fuel pump primes when you turn the key. The engine started back up one time for about 10 seconds and then nothing. The engine just turns over but will not start. I am thinking that I am not getting spark or maybe the cat is clogged? Have not had time to pull codes.

A few specs some of which may not be listed:
1990 model year
around 97,000 miles
Engine stock with the exception of an MSD coil
suspension is stock
Manual t-case and hubs

·
Premium Member
9,985 Posts
Pull codes first and go from there, also check the seasrch tool for ideas of what it be ~

Good Luck ~

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Maybe coil too

Sixlitre

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so I got home from work and checked a few things before trying to pull codes. First I pulled a couple of spark plugs, they looked OK. Next I turned the key on to pressurize the fuel system, and when I depresed the shrader valve- just a little puff, no fuel came out. I couldn't find my pressure gauge. So then I pulled the codes and am not sure that I got it right. I think that I had an 11 a 22 and 87, but I need to re-test tomorrow to double check. Does a '90 have both a high and low pressure fuel pump or just the tank sending unit? I am sort of at a loss and the 12+ hour days I work do not help as far as trouble shooting. Any ideas?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
New development has me even more puzzled. Just for kicks I tried to start the Bronco this morning and it fired up, but only for about 10 seconds or so then engine quit again. Still not sure what is going on.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Sounds more like a fuel problem, get a FP tester, and jump the FP relay and see what the pressure holds at. Should be ~39psi KOEO.

·
RIP Spring Creek Off Road
6,012 Posts
i keep seeing the title to this thread and can't pass it anymore with out getting this off my chest... so here it is...

did you check and make sure it didn't turn into a pumpkin!?!?!

...carry on

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
yes you have high and low pressure pumps. the secound(high pressure, i think) pump is located on the frame rail, drivers side, after the fuel filter i think.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I had the EXACT same problem and it was a bum [in tank] fuel pump. It would sound as though it was priming, too.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,311 Posts
:stupid x2.
The filter should be on the driver's side frame rail. A 90 should only have 1 fuel pump. A high pressure one in the tank. Older trucks have 2. I'm not sure when they changed, but by 90 it should have only 1.

Gotta ask, when the truck died at midnight, was the dog barking? :toothless

1 - 14 of 14 Posts