Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my new truck had an engine inspection hole installed by the previous owner.

upon inspection i found that the piston was in the pan, and the "big end" of the rod was up towards the head.

and reasons why to change your oil!!
old blown engine is the sludgy one, the clean one is the used engine i am putting in that had its oil changed EVERY 3k.

·
Original FSB.COM Owner
9,563 Posts
BurnedB said:
upon inspection i found that the piston was in the pan, and the "big end" of the rod was up towards the head.
does that normally cause a problem ? :toothless i dont think i've ever seen oil cake that bad

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
I had an engine inspection hole installed in my old 78 Mustang II while I was driving it and it actually didn't make much noise. Turning a corner, going maybe 10-15mph and a little bang and the car started shaking to beat hell and the oil light came on. Piston pin(less than a few hundred miles since rebuild) decided to let go of the piston. I was still able to drive it back home a couple miles like that too. 6 cylinders worked and the other 2 were just slapping the rods around in the cylinders scratching the hell out of them. It stalled once and started right back up too. Those darn inspection holes really piss you off when they're yours.

·
Banned
6,930 Posts
I installed several inspection holes in my '51 Merc flathead once. Also reduced the rotational weight of the cam so that it could flex more with the longest piece only having three lobes. It was a little rough on the clutch though...:scratchhe

·
Registered
990 Posts
dsotmoon said:
does that normally cause a problem ? :toothless i dont think i've ever seen oil cake that bad
That isnt shit compaired to what was in my truck when I bought it! I had 3/4 to 1" of waxy/crusty oily shit all over the top of the cylinder head(between valve springs and stuff). New engine is good though:thumbup

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
i bet that's what the valve covers on my dad's van look like. he also put an inspection hole in his first 3.4 liter v6. and now working on another on his 2nd 3.4L. dumbass only changes his oil every 6-7 thousand miles.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
what engine is that zach?

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
Where did yo get the kit for that inspection hole and how much did it cost? Im gonna put one on my truck

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jopes said:
what engine is that zach?
7.3L pre powerstroke turbo diesel. these hold 4 qts less oil(though this one did have 2 gallons of coolant in the oil), more prone to electrolyisis but have much higher compression. also a regular style injection pump injection

my new motors is looking pretty good.
got to do alot of parts swapping this afternoon, then its going back into the truck!

i dont figure there is one good part in that engine. block is hosed(coolant mix) atleast one rod is bent, and aleast one pisto nshattered(these rods are special to this year and go for big $$ used though) the cam is junk, and atleast 1 cylinder head is junk from when it let go and hit up top.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
what was the cause of it letting go? Just alot of miles or did the owner do something stupid?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jopes said:
what was the cause of it letting go? Just alot of miles or did the owner do something stupid?
not shure. valve train is intact though.
kinda looks like it lost the rod cap and it all went south from there. had 160k on it, so it might have been time to die.....
had one of these motors drop a valve at 100k for no reason and gernaded everything.......

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
jopes said:
I have it on good authority that the inside of the motor in yr new tow rig looks just like the one here. Sorry pal.:toothless Look at the bright side..you can hook the trailer up behnd that Oz-408-powerd Bronco and tow the ventilated diesel right on home.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ya, i forgot jopes was looking for a powerstroke. this probably made hsi stomach churn some
aint much left of the old boat anchor

had to swap over all this stuff

1 - 14 of 14 Posts