Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1991 351W E4OD
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we've got the flywheel bolted to the torque converter but can't get the engine lined up with the tranny mount holes. Anyone got any tips/tricks for this? Been at it for about 3.5 hours. Thanks!

·
Registered
772 Posts
Doesnt your tranny have dowels to help line it up?

·
Registered
605 Posts
are you saying you bolted the t conv up to the flexplate first?
If that's right, I would say there's your problem.
If that's so, it prolly seems like the tranny just won't come close enough to the engine...you can cause damage if you try to force it by snugging bolts.

put the conv on the trans first and make sure you get it "locked" on.

Slide the conv on and when you think it's good spin and wiggle it until it slides on back and clunks...then install the trans.

Then again, maybe I misunderstood what you're describing...

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
:stupid How the hell are you gonna bolt the flexplate onto the crankshaft if you've already got the torque converter bolted to the flexplate? I just hope you didn't destroy the front pump.

Geez, this is like the 8th time this month someone's had problems with transmission-to-engine installation.

·
Registered
1991 351W E4OD
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 8th time this month? Really? I searched and couldn't really find anything recent. :shrug

The flywheel was already bolted to the crankshaft. I loosely bolted the flywheel to the torque converter. I think I got it now though. I used some longer bolts to get it lined up and then gave the motor a good push and now it is up against the tranny. Now I'm just taking the longer bolts out and replacing them with the ones that are supposed to go in. Thanks for the help. :beer

·
Registered
605 Posts
I loosely bolted the flywheel to the torque converter. I think I got it now though. I used some longer bolts to get it lined up and then gave the motor a good push and now it is up against the tranny. Now I'm just taking the longer bolts out and replacing them with the ones that are supposed to go in. Thanks for the help. :beer
From the way you described your install method, you probably didn't get the conv seated and there's a good chance you'll be pulling the trans back out...might be spending some money too.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Yea, I think you can break the pump in the trans boltin it to the crank an pullin funny on it. Hope you got it in...I had some trouble gettin mine lined up as well, but that was due to another problem and being the first time I have ever done it.

Hope you got her in good.

KC

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
yeah, you should install the TC on the transmission FIRST. I know from experience. I installed the motor, then pulled the tranny and converter and reinstalled them. You *may* have gotten it all seated correctly, but if the TC isn't seated right you probably won't be able to get the engine to bolt all the way to the trans.

·
Registered
1991 351W E4OD
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh man. I guess I need to be super specific. The torque converter was already mounted in the tranny. I did not mount it separately on the flywheel and try to put it in that way. I didn't think you guys would think I would be that retarded. lol

I have read all the things on here about getting the torque converter seated right so I knew about possible pump damage. So again, I put the torque converter in the tranny first before attempting to install the motor. :thumbup

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Oh man. I guess I need to be super specific. The torque converter was already mounted in the tranny. I did not mount it separately on the flywheel and try to put it in that way. I didn't think you guys would think I would be that retarded. lol

I have read all the things on here about getting the torque converter seated right so I knew about possible pump damage. So again, I put the torque converter in the tranny first before attempting to install the motor. :thumbup
Doesn't really matter to me but you did "specifically" say that you had the T conv bolted to the flexplate (flywheel as you call it) and the trans wasn't yet bolted up.
Even if you did have the conv on the trans to begin with, when you bolted up the conv while the trans wasn't flush w/ the engine you pulled it away from it's seated position relative to whatever distance the trans was away from the engine.

Obviously I wasn't there to see what kind of distance it was so I don't know if you busted something or not.
However, it's not normal to have to use long bolts to get the trans pulled up before you can use the stock bolts. If the conv was installed correctly it should have only taken a little wiggling to get the trans flush w/ the engine not 3 1/2 hours of struggling.

Again, it doesn't make a difference to me but it sounds like you've never put a tranny in before, I'm just throwing out a little info since you asked.

·
Registered
1991 351W E4OD
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've read a few posts of people using longer bolts to help line up the trans so that's the way I did it. The torque converter did not come close to coming out of the trans at any time. The gap I had was probably about an inch and a half at the most. Yes, I have never installed an engine before so that's why I asked. I know that if I crushed the pump in the tranny then the crank would not be able to rotate after the engine/tranny were bolted together. It rotates just fine though so I think I'm in the clear. :thumbup

Again, thanks everyone for the help.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I've read a few posts of people using longer bolts to help line up the trans so that's the way I did it.:thumbup

Again, thanks everyone for the help.
Typically longer bolts (studs) are used when installing manual trans to assist in getting the input shaft aligned with the clutch disk and pilot bearing vs. having the input shaft hang up on clutch disk. Prior to the trans install, I get two 6" bolts and cut the heads off and bevel the heads of the resulting studs. After installing the studs in the bottom left/right threads, I slide the trans into place.

Usually there's little need to do this during an auto trans install

Good luck on your install.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts