Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Dead Horse
5,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i pressure washed my motor yesterday, ive done this many times with no problems, i had to blow out the distributor cap like normal, but this time its still having problems. the truck is ok if your taking off extremely slow, but if you press the gas hardly any, it will stumble like one of the cylinders isnt firing. when its idling, it idles really rough now, like its cutting in and out. i cant accelerate hardly at all. ive blowed out the cap, button, distributor and its dry, but its still having problems. please any suggestions of what it could be? how can i check to make sure each cylinder is firing without taking the wires off the plugs (they always like to break).

i need help asap, its gotta get me to school tommorow, adn work, and prom saturday :cry

and now the mustang i was supposed to get today, is having brake problems

·
Registered
610 Posts
check you're plugs and reseat the wires. Run the motor for a little bit, cut it off, and pull the plugs one at a time. If you have a cylinder thats not firing, one of the plugs will be wet with unburned gas. If this is the case, replace that wire. Also with the pressure wash, you may have dislodged some vacuum lines or gotten water in some electrical connections (the ones up on the drivers wheel well) Check all your vacuum connectors and electrical connections. Checking the alternator and coil migh tnot be a bad idea either.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
jb77714 said:
how can i check to make sure each cylinder is firing without taking the wires off the plugs
You can't.

(they always like to break).
Then you're taking them off wrong. Use a sparkplug wire puller, either the "ring on a stick" type or the soft pliers type. *NEVER* pull on the wire, only on the boot, and make sure you're pulling in the correct direction. Twist the boot once or twice to break it loose from the porcelain, and pull it off.

·
Registered
610 Posts
sorry didnt see the "check the cylinders without pulling the wires"...a ghetto way of doing this would be to use a timing light on each plug wire close to the plug...run it and see if the light blinks on each plug..this could help determin a bad wire. if they like to break..get new wires (i know being in HS is tight on the budget this time of year). Do you get a check engine light at all?

·
Registered
610 Posts
even more thought...when you put the dist cap back on, did you by chance mess up the timing? and check the vacuum advance is hooked up properly...

·
Dead Horse
5,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i just went out and put a wire with plug on each place on the distributor to make sure it was firing, and it was. i guess i need to check the wires next

·
Registered
610 Posts
jb77714 said:
i just went out and put a wire with plug on each place on the distributor to make sure it was firing, and it was. i guess i need to check the wires next
yup. just be carefull how you pull them off..by the boot only, strait off...if you find some spare scratch, a set of pullers saves some serious time doing tuneups

·
Dead Horse
5,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
smileybry said:
yup. just be carefull how you pull them off..by the boot only, strait off...if you find some spare scratch, a set of pullers saves some serious time doing tuneups

i tried getting it off with some pliers, but it just tore the boot up. but the p/o said it has a tune up, but the wires are from 1995, so its the same wires, plugs and cap it rolled off the assembly line with. might try to get my dad to loan me some money, and go ahead and get performance wires, cap and button, and plugs

·
Crusher Mike
6,115 Posts
Some times the sensor will get wet or clogged used to happen to me on my mustang. pull it out ans see if the little wire has crap on it. I used to clean mine with brake cleaner.

·
Dead Horse
5,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for everyones help
i went and got some autolite plugs, gapped to .55, accel 8.8 wires, and accel rotor and button. that fixed the problem. its never had a tune up, the wires said 1995. it fixed the problem, and it runs so much better, and noticable power increase. now all i have to do is get the MSD coil.

·
Registered
610 Posts
awesome man. glad to hear it was just wire type problems. One tip of advice...on your way to the prom, go through a mud hole, then have the bronco valet parked....(=

1 - 13 of 13 Posts