Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a problem of my 96 A/T killing as soon as I put it into anything other than park or neutral. I thought that the torque converter clutch may be the culpret so I put a new Torque Converter in. I now have Reverse and First but still kills as soon as put into Second or Drive??? Hoping someone out there can throw me a life vest as I am spent!:whiteflag

·
Super Moderator
25,743 Posts
yo;
Was it scanned for DTCs?
do the KOEO = Key On Engine Off portion first
& Remember to have engine @ Normal Operating Temperature before doing the KEY ON ENGINE RUNNING (KOER) portion
Some possibilities:
Engine Stall During Transmission Engagement TSB 97-24-23 for 96 Bronco, 96-97 Vans & F Series, 97 Expedition, 98 Navigator, 96-97 F-53 Motorhome; "...Some vehicles may stall when the transmission is placed into gear. This may be caused by the transmission fluid filter becoming detached and/or loose..."
Source: by Ford via thedieselstop.com @ http://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/9497faq/tsb/tsb/97-24-23.php3

Filter Clip Alternative; "... have seen many threads and received many pm's as of late speaking of the stay-put filter clip used to keep the filters from falling out of the pump in the e4od. there is an alternative to using this clip. it is more expensive but also has more benefits than just using this clip. you can get a trans pan from a 03 super-duty truck. this pan has little humps in the bottom to but up against the bottom of the filter and this keeps the filter from falling down. this pan also has a drain plug and extra capacity for 1.5 more qts of fluid. this pan also allows you to use the much better elastomer gasket. it is reusable and virtually leak-proof. much better than the cork design. it does require the use of a 4x4 filter..."
Source: by thePUNISHER (Paul) at http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155429Filter Magnet; E4OD Kills Engine in Drive; works as a filter retainer; w/Ford PN and size...basically this is a magnet Ford uses to keep the filter in-place tightly into the pump; Ford pn F3RZ-7E290-AC
Source: by spxfiltran.com via web.archive http://web.archive.org/web/20010727174755/http://www.spxfiltran.com/Bulletins/toledo/techbulletin.asp?num=037

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, wasn't scanned yet. just put the transmission back in yesterday and working today. Just thought that maybe someone else had experienced similar situation and could help me out. Could the filter really cause this and if I never touched the filter in the removal and replacement why would some of the symptoms go away and not have remained the same?

·
Super Moderator
25,743 Posts
ok, Get it scanned somewhere for free. Post any Codes found here or do a Google on it or use the Search Function in my broncolinks.com site; type in just the P Number Code. Sometimes you need to try using an O (OH) or 0 (ZERO) if the code has that circle in it; such as P1023.

It's happened before to others here

; I've just spent over 23 hours tracking down a loose connection in my PSOM/E4OD/4WABS/PCM circuit. I'd lose my PSOM and get a ruff downshift from OD to First w/a similar drop in speed. Happened only over big bumps. So that was hard to duplicate while under da Bronco.

·
Super Moderator
25,743 Posts
yo, Ok &
When you go there, make sure engine is still @ normal operating temperature so they can da KEY ON ENGINE RUNNING (KOER) portion; If there is a delay in getting it done when you go there; heat it back up again.

Shut off all accessories. Lights, etc.
Have em do the KOEO = Key On Engine Off portion first

Then the KEY ON ENGINE RUNNING (KOER) portion

·
Registered
512 Posts
im experiencing the same issues with mine as well allthough reverse works fine..and it comes and goes first time i took it in they got a code for a tot sensor they put a new soleniod pac and valve body.. it ran fine on the way home and then i parked it for two days.. .. started it up ran like two miles and started bucking like a t/c lock up issue and stalling in drive agian so i had it taken to shop on a wrecker.. they wait till next day to try and drive it and its working good for them..so the trans is only a year old and its back in the shop that initially built it up and there a little stumped as well.. so far i havent talked to them in a few days to see if they came up with anything but as soon as i know ill post up what they found here

·
Cleaning the trails
931 Posts
He has a 96. Should be OBDII.. Makes code pulling easy if you can buy/borrow a reader.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, I will be getting the codes pulled tonight hopefully. work has been BUSY! I will post what I find.

·
Super Moderator
25,743 Posts
ok,
I'll be away for a coupla days; will ck here if I am able to get on-line;

Many others here will help ya out!

·
Urban Assault Bronco
1,280 Posts
did you rehook up the vacuum line that goes from the transmission to the intake manifold?

·
Urban Assault Bronco
1,280 Posts
mine 2 thats why i suggested it.

·
Registered
512 Posts
i know it sounds crazy but mine has been in the shop for two weeks and they couldnt narrow it down..... the crazy thing is it started having probs right after breaking drivers motor mount..once i got it back with a new solenoid pack in there and a valve body i drove it around for a day and still had some issues.. i replaced the broken motor mount and shes working great now sounds crazy huh .... but its doing great

1 - 16 of 16 Posts