Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My check engine light is on. The local auto parts store told me the code indicated the EGR valve is sensing to much air. Possibly the EGR solenoid or the EGR valve itself. How can I check that out myself? Or does it need to be diagnosed by a auto repair shop?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a 96 with the 5.8 litre. He did not give me the code number, he made it sound as if it read out "EGR sensing too much air" I may have to go back.

·
#1 Asshole
1,452 Posts
It is most likely a faulty DPFE sensor I can't post a pic I'm on the cell but do a search for DPFE it should come up with some tech on it.

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
Could be EGR or DPFE sensor related.

Have it pulled again and write down the number. It will be a P followed by 4 numbers (ie P0174)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got the code from the Auto Z shop. P0402. When I asked them about the DPFE sensor, they said they didn't know what I was talking about. He looked it up on his computer and he said it "wasn't applicable" like I don't have one. I think the guy was a little nerdy. I am sure you full size Bronco owners can tell me. (this is my first Bronco) Thanks for all your help so far.

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
That is the code I got when my DPFE went out.

Its very easy to replace.

·
#1 Asshole
1,452 Posts
2 minutes on autozone's web site reveals that you want Duralast part number SU2108 $44.99 2 year warranty

Features & Benefits

Duralast products are engineered and manufactured by Wells Manufacturing, a leading global supplier of advanced vehicle electronics solutions for original equipment and replacement applications. Every component either matches or improves on the OE design to ensure fast, easy installation, superior performance and reliability. Wells offers extensive application information and technical support via its Tech Line at 1-800-558-9770, as well as in-depth product and repair videos at www.wellsVE.com and through the ?Wellstech? channel at www.YouTube.com .
DPFE (Delta Pressure Feedback EGR) measures pressure difference between upstream and downstream side of the EGR valve.
When not replaced, vehicle could experience high NOx emissions, failed emissions test, poor fuel economy, surging and/or CEL/MIL illumination.
Designed to meet or exceed OE specifications in form, fit and function.
Global coverage for import and/or domestic applications.

or 1 minute on advance auto parts's site revealed BWD part number EGR155 $44.69 1 year warranty

Before you replace this part that "wasn't applicable" I would ensure that the EGR valve is closing all the way by removing it and looking at the valve while holding it to a light source, if you can see light through it, clean it to the best of your ability, cycle the valve, allow it to close and see if it is closed all the way, if not it may be the problem not the sensor.

·
Super Moderator
27,411 Posts
yo,
Good stuff Ramsey!

I had the PO402 once in our 96 last year
Most of da time - because of hot exh gases flowing thru a little device, it is a failed DPFE sensor;

Before you buy a new one; ck the two high temperature silicone hoses that go from da EGT Tube's 2 small diameter tubes to the DPFE sensor. They are available at your local Ford Dealer. The dealer sells this special silicone hose by the foot ( I paid $10.00 for each hose & you trim it to exact length. the PNs -
DPFE HOSES; 1L3Z-9P761-AA - 1/4" for REF - Downstream hose (INTAKE)
DPFE HOSES; 1L3Z-9P761-BA - 5/16" for Upstream hose (EXHAUST
For da DPFE Sensor, The new DPFE sensor will be plastic as your original is still probably die cast metal;
dealers in area want $150.00 for the DPFE Sensor and will not discount; so I bought the MOTORCRAFT DPFE15 thru Amazon w/free S&H for $60.00 and no tax

Delta/Differential Pressure Feedback (DPFE) System Overview ; "...The DPFE Ford EGR system is a vacuum operated system. This system controls EGR flow rate by monitoring a pressure drop across a metered orifice with the DPFE sensor (Fig. 2)..." read more
Source: by tomco-inc.com
Also read the TEST @ http://www.tomco-inc.com/Tech_Tips/ttt36.pdf

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awesome information, thanks. When you say "cycle the valve" and see if it closes all the way, what do you mean. If I pull it off a cold engine, is it supposed to be closed? Is cycling it putting it on the engine and running it? Thanks again.

·
#1 Asshole
1,452 Posts
With out a vacuum on it is is supposed to be closed. So if you unhook it it should be closed. Cycling it is pushing the valve up to allow it to open then close.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts