Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 automatic w/ the rust package
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok folks so I'm on a new project(s) for the Bronco over the next couple of days. Firstly, I am changing out the fuel injectors and filter, I replaced the filter last year but will be doing it with the new injectors as well. So I ordered the injectors off of ebay from a link I found on a post on here. I got the upgraded 4 hole injectors, but not sure if I picked up the ones I was looking for. I heard that the Explorer injectors were the way to go, the ones I got are orange tip with silver base. I know they will work but kinda wanted to try out those Explorer injectors, I'm taking this bad girl on a cross continent road trip so I'll need the best mpg as possible hahaha. Also when replacing these injectors are there any other upgrades or maintenance I can do whilst I have everything taken apart and already pissed about something breaking. She currently has 306,000 miles and have already replaced the plugs, wires, cap/rotor and added a drop in K&N air filter. I plan on cleaning out the throttle body and most likely doing an engine detail as well...so any suggestions on the best way to clean the engine as well??

Attachments

·
Registered
95 5.8L XLT, Hedman Shorties/MF SS Y & Muff, E4OD, Manual hubs, KYB Quads, 31x10.5x15's, 301K miles
818 Posts
A paper air filter will filter the air a lot better than a K & N filter, also there are other dry type filters that filter better and are less restrictive if that is what you are looking for. I tossed my K & N after I took ownership of my Bronco after seeing some comparative videos of the Pros and Cons of certain types of air filters. Just some FYI. Mine currently has 301,000 miles and it is my DD and I drive it 720 miles round trip every other weekend. I usually clean my engine with engine spray cleaner/degreaser and hook the hose up to my Water heater and use the hot water to rinse it off and then a leaf blower to blow dry the engine. BTW cover the Distributor really well as the water ALWAYS finds its way into the distributor cap and gums up the inside, nothing you can't cleanup if it does happen. If it does happen the bronco will become a buckin bronco, you'll know when it happens.... After its all clean and dry I spray silicone tire dressing all over the engine, hoses and plastic under the hood.

·
Super Moderator
24,962 Posts
I agree and others agree with Stevo on K&N, so I stay w/MC or Purolator filters and will get back to insul the entire system asap using Reflectix® insulation, avail @ Lowes. etc.; use on air intake box & tubes to throttle body; Double Reflective Insulation ST16025 - 16" x 25 feet.

+1 for keeping the stock box. I read a study completed once where they tested open cone k&n filter charger against a drop in filter. The drop in made more power and helped MPGs." by
Anthracis @ k&n air set up question.

I'm going to do forced air by running duct from one of the grill vents to the air box.

'90-96 Fuel Pump System

·
Registered
1996 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 automatic w/ the rust package
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A paper air filter will filter the air a lot better than a K & N filter, also there are other dry type filters that filter better and are less restrictive if that is what you are looking for. I tossed my K & N after I took ownership of my Bronco after seeing some comparative videos of the Pros and Cons of certain types of air filters. Just some FYI. Mine currently has 301,000 miles and it is my DD and I drive it 720 miles round trip every other weekend. I usually clean my engine with engine spray cleaner/degreaser and hook the hose up to my Water heater and use the hot water to rinse it off and then a leaf blower to blow dry the engine. BTW cover the Distributor really well as the water ALWAYS finds its way into the distributor cap and gums up the inside, nothing you can't cleanup if it does happen. If it does happen the bronco will become a buckin bronco, you'll know when it happens.... After its all clean and dry I spray silicone tire dressing all over the engine, hoses and plastic under the hood.
Honestly this K&N has been very efficient since I dropped it in. As long as it's kept clean and oiled she does what I need her to do. I've seen lots of filters though that never get properly maintained, whether it be the stock filter or the K&N. Now I do plan on wrapping the tubing. I definitely do think the open filter concept is a bit much.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts