Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Man of endless projects
8,875 Posts
with a custom cam, having a higher static compression ratio is less of an issue as you can change dynamic compression ratio based on cam specs. not saying go 12:1 but you can always choose to go abit higher.

as TS said, the 5.0 HO cam in a certian thread is said to be the best for our trucks. that thread is really meant mofr for people running MAP still as thats about the max the EFi can handle. but aftermarekt cams are made to have a faster lift rates and such which means they get more our of the same durration specs. its also a reason why people dont like using Ford letter cams is because cams now are made better to maximize performance. if you didnt want a a custom cam i would probably say the Comp 35-512-8 cam would be decent but i still think a custom cam would be much better

4R70W (W meaning Wide ratio gearset) has a different ratio than the similar AODE. AODE uses same gearset as AOD. E4OD also has wide ratio gearset where the C6 predecessor has standard ratio. but E4OD and 4R70W are very similar ratios. its jsut that the 4R70W is smaller which means its weaker but more more efficient than the E4OD with less HP loss. kinda like how some racers like using weaker C4 transmissions instead of the legendary C6 in order have less loss of power. the newer version of the E4OD is the 4R100 which the 100 means it can handle about 1000ftlb of torque AFTER the converter. the 70 in 4R70W means it can handle 700ftlb. but newer 4Rs are defiantly better, the 4R75 and i htink some 4R70 are meant to handle the 5.4 Tritons. in all the 4R70W or the E4OD will be fine, but if you have an E4OD with driveshafts, wiring and linkage i would stay that. my F250 actually came with an AOD originally.

4R70W E4OD AODE
1st: 2.84 2.71 2.4
2nd: 1.55 1.54 1.46
3rd: 1 1 1
4th: 0.70 0.71 0.66

btw i dont have any 75mm stuff anymore. only got a trickflow 70mm EGR spacer only apparently. got a 75mm one but its in rough shape not really worth anything.

·
Eric
2,522 Posts
GT40 heads can be found on any V8 explorer or mountaineer. I've seen at least 10 pair in the JYs
I'll assume this ^^^ is directed at me. Those are the GT40P heads with the modified spark plug angle and no thermactor ports. I need the thermactor ports intact so I can bolt up the factory emissions stuff. Only the GT40 castings that came on Lightnings and Cobras had those. Even the very early Explorers that used the leftover GT40 heads, before Ford started the GT40P production, eliminated the thermactor ports from the casting. The latter "P" heads on '97-up Expos/Mountys/etc. are a different animal entirely. The thermactor ports and/or standard plug orientation are really the only reason to use the older GT40 heads.

·
Addicted to Junk
10,840 Posts
I'll assume this ^^^ is directed at me. Those are the GT40P heads with the modified spark plug angle and no thermactor ports. I need the thermactor ports intact so I can bolt up the factory emissions stuff. Only the GT40 castings that came on Lightnings and Cobras had those. Even the very early Explorers that used the leftover GT40 heads, before Ford started the GT40P production, eliminated the thermactor ports from the casting. The latter "P" heads on '97-up Expos/Mountys/etc. are a different animal entirely. The thermactor ports and/or standard plug orientation are really the only reason to use the older GT40 heads.
Oh, well shows what i know! Guess I learned something today

·
Eric
2,522 Posts
Oh, well shows what i know! Guess I learned something today
I've read your posts, sir. You know uber-tons. 👍 I've just had to invest a laughable amount of time, in the past, to researching the lineage and usage progression of the GT40 casting. Including tracking down and talking with specific people that could physically show me the casting variations for the entire family side-by-side. So much time..... (brownbag smiley)

Again, sorry for hijacking. :(

·
Registered
254 Posts
Have a (stock) 1993 5.8 Bronco

Purchased these parts for GT40 Lightning Build:
Trans Control: I expect to control the reman E4OD with a Bauman contoller

Gear: I expect to roll on either:
  • 4.10 and 33" x 12.5; or,
  • 4.56 and 35" x 12.5
  • both are roughly equivalent to the stock gear for the given tire size
Need: A9P
Need: EGR valve, EGR tube, and EGR throttle body spacer -

View attachment 152371

View attachment 152378

Working now on the MAF conversion harness and looking for a few parts.
Nice Bronco!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts