Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1986 ford bronco with 302 fuel injection. I was told that I could not upgrade heads and a cam because it was a speed density computerized motor. Is this correct? To add a cam and heads what do I need to do?

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
That is BS. You can do quite a bit of upgrading and still keep the SD. Take a look at my Superford page, 351 buildup section. Look at everything I did to my engine, I still have SD.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
heads, intake, etc no big deal at all, go for it.

the cam will get you into trouble. Now, there are speed density compliant aftermarket cams, so you may want to either look into that, or go mass air.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good news

I was not sure about what I was being told, so I thought I would ask here. Basicaly I have edelbrock heads small vavlves not the 2.02 head, JBA headers already installed. The bronco just needs a little more get up and go.

I saw the 351w swap. I wouldn't mind going that route, what is needed to make it work? Will it bolt up to the existing tranny? Sorry for being a newbie dumbarss. Not familar with all of the ins and outs of what can be done with the bronco.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
shelbyron said:
I have a 1986 ford bronco with 302 fuel injection. I was told that I could not upgrade heads and a cam because it was a speed density computerized motor. Is this correct? To add a cam and heads what do I need to do?
Careful on that. There is a different piston in 86s, than all other years that followed. I've been told there are clearance issues.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
good point. the 86 blocks had flat top pistons, and as a result, you typically can't even run e7 heads.

twisted wedge heads are supposed to be a direct bolt on for those type of pistons.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts