Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1984 Ford Bronco
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably a dumb question, but what is the best engine oil for a 1990 Ford Bronco?

I hear full synthetic is the best but I want to make sure that it is before I put it in.

·
Registered
1989 Bronco XLT 351W with C6, manual locking hubs. 6” suspension lift with 35” Cooper tires
914 Posts

·
Registered
1980; 347 stroker; Holley Sniper EFI
255 Posts
I use 10W-30 all year round. If I was really particular, I would switch to 5W-30 for the winter but I only change the oil once a year. Also everyone says the Fram oil filters are bad

·
Registered
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400/C6 92 K documented miles &1994 Bronco,XLT 85K original miles
1,069 Posts
Stick with dinosaur oil in the older engine like motor craft. I use only motorcraft or six filters

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Oil and the oil filter are meant to be changed.... the more often the better. I do not think you would hear a single peep from anyone if you decided to change your oil and filter monthly. It will not hurt anything. I come from the old school of using the cheapest oil and changing twice a year. Once I hit 100,000 miles I put 10W30 in everything.... even the 4 cylinders. Thick oil eventually breaks down into thinner oil anyway.

If you want to drop the coin of synthetic it won't hurt anything.

I guess the real question is which is going to cause more wear...... old synthetic with 7,000 miles or old conventional with 3,500.... and do you want to change the oil 1 a year or twice?

·
Registered
1989 Bronco XLT 351W with C6, manual locking hubs. 6” suspension lift with 35” Cooper tires
914 Posts
Make sure you get a Fumoto drain plug too. Makes the oil change like 10 min and no tools and basically no mess. Worth every penny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
516 Posts
I have been running 10w-30 Mobil 1 and Wix filters. Did run Fram back when I bought them together at Walmart, but after working at an auto parts store during a Wix filter sale week...I may have stocked up for a few years worth lol.

I did watch a video (granted it was with help of Mobil 1, at cold temps, and different weights for the oils, old and new of each were the same, but different between conventional and synthetic) showing that the synthetic did hold closer to its original viscosity better than conventional (didn't thicken up as much towards the end of its life). Now that isn't what sent me to using synthetic, since for our old engines it really is just preference. Only key thing to remember is to stick with the same brand if you have a leak or need to top off as each have their own set of additives they think is best that may not agree with each other.

Reactions: Rodribra001

·
Registered
1982 Bronco XLT Lariat, 351W, C6; 1989 Bronco XLT, 302, AOD
232 Posts
Also what would be the best Engine oil filter for it
I have been using Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 10W30 for the last 50,000 miles and I love it! I also use a Motorcraft FL1A oil filter. Never had any problems. But I don't offroad it at all. Strictly a highway rig. About 175 - 200 miles a day.
TB

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Any good (non orange Fram) filter changed frequently is good.
Any high quality dino or synthetic or blended oil is great.
I like Motor craft and Mobile-1 filters, or the Fram painted silver.
I run 10-30 pretty much a the time. Current motor is at 109k and runs perfectly. I change it about every 5k ish when running synthetic, or about every 8 months (my motorcycle is my daily driver year round. Bronco for sometines, camp trailer duty. Since blended or full syn is not really much more expensive I always run it.

For those curious Costco (Sam's Club down south?) Has their brand of full synthetic for $24.99 for two 5-quart jugs.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have been running pennzoil platinum 5-30w with the fl1a motorcraft filter. I like using synthetic for the small increase in cost. My 347 only has about 2k miles on it and I switched to synthetic at about 1000 miles per my engine builders reccomendation.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts