Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First the FYI, could not have been too long ago, but for those using Max Life, it's now labeled semi-synthetic. I checked Valvoline's site and sure enough, they do not appear to sell standard valvoline max life. Or maybe this is some stupid marketing stuff where it's the same old Max Life, but they get to call it semi-sythetic due to the addititives within??? Don't know, just wanted to make folks using this aware. I hate when a manuf. goes and changes something on me. My motor now has 133k and does not burn any oil. So it worries me to see changes to something I've been putting in for probably 6 years now (was standard valvoline I used before the max life came out).

Anyway, the question is this: I don't put many miles on the truck these days and so this whole 3mo/3k is not really working for me. I normally only put about 1500 miles on in 3 months. So it seems to me I should fall back to hours used, more or less. By this I don't intend to track hours, but it seems to me that I should ignore the 3mo "rule" and let it go closer to 4 mos. which might have me more along the lines of 2k maybe a bit more. Any thoughts, I hate wasting oil, it sure looks in good shape after only 3 mo/1500miles. Seems to me this would be a reasonable thing to do.

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
I've always gone by this little rule of my own design: "If you don't hit three thousand in three months, wait for 2,000. If you don't hit 2k in four months, change it." If I'm at 2500 at three months, I'll just change it. Hell, it only costs $30 to do it...

It's worked so far for my Bronco. It's never had anything but Motorcraft (10w30 and MC filters) in it since it rolled off the lot; I was PISSED when they stopped producing regular and went to "synthetic blend" too. I may switch to regular Valvoline; I don't trust the "high mileage" oils (for no reason, just a stupid, unfounded aversion). I run 10w30 Valvoline in everything else but the Rubi (the PO had put nothing but Mobil 1 in it since it was new, so I stuck with that), and it'd be nice to just buy a huge container of that...

·
a renegade of funk
3,241 Posts
i run the high mile oil as well(10-40)
i think the bronco had one or two oil changes in the past year,
newer oils have a higher tolerance for breaking down over time.
i simply dont put the miles on it, i think as long as the time is less of a factor as mileage and even 4000 miles is doable.

as far the max life goes its all ways been a "semi syn"(its is a blend not conv.) oil just called high miles.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i run the high mile oil as well(10-40)
i think the bronco had one or two oil changes in the past year,
newer oils have a higher tolerance for breaking down over time.
i simply dont put the miles on it, i think as long as the time is less of a factor as mileage and even 4000 miles is doable.

as far the max life goes its all ways been a "semi syn"(its is a blend not conv.) oil just called high miles.

How do you know this? Like I said I've ran it for years, and this is the first change where the label (and the valvoline site) now say "Synthetic blend". Nothing on the bottle or the site say anything further about it. It does have particular additives for seals and cleaning and what not.

I still have a max life 5w-30 in the truck that does not state synthetic blend, nor is it mentioned in any of the detail verbiage on the quart.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Shadofax, why don't you take some of the old oil and have it sent out for analysis... they can tell you the life expectancy of it.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shadofax, why don't you take some of the old oil and have it sent out for analysis... they can tell you the life expectancy of it.

What would that cost, $10 or $210?

you could go full synth and then do oil analysis. you prolly only need to change your oil once a year that way. if that.

Well, apparently I am now being drug that way with "semi-synthetic", so it's some type of blend, so my original thought of going 4 months should be no issue at all, perhaps a little longer.

From the Valvoline website, just had to dig a little more into the product specs:

Valvoline MaxLife™ is the first motor oil specially formulated for higher mileage engines. Valvoline MaxLife™ is a blend of premium synthetic and conventional basestocks with a seal conditioning agent, extra cleaning agents, additional antiwear additives and friction modifiers.
The Valvoline MaxLife™ Motor Oil Advantage
• Conditions engine seals
• Minimizes oil consumption
• Maximizes power output
• Resists thermal breakdown
• Reduces deposit formation
• Provides easier cold starts

They do however make a full synthetic.

·
a renegade of funk
3,241 Posts
How do you know this? Like I said I've ran it for years, and this is the first change where the label (and the valvoline site) now say "Synthetic blend". Nothing on the bottle or the site say anything further about it. It does have particular additives for seals and cleaning and what not.

I still have a max life 5w-30 in the truck that does not state synthetic blend, nor is it mentioned in any of the detail verbiage on the quart.
right and the additives in it make it "semi syn" they are the same additives that have all ways been in it.
valvoline had (when i worked there any way) three types of earl,
the durablend (cheap shit)
max life and their semi shit
and the syn-pro.

because they have to put all the cool stuff in it to make it save your seals and stuff thats why they have all ways called it a semi mix
i think the label change is just to sell it as a better cooler newer oil because no other ext. mileage oil is marketed as a "semi blend"

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
I was reading somewhere (cant remember where) that said that oils are so different than before they can be ran for 5-6000 miles before changing them. I change mine in the Durango every 4-5000 miles. The bronco every three months on the dot

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
What would that cost, $10 or $210?
About 22-30 dollars. They send you a container and instructions with return slip, you put the oil in the container, drop it off at the post office, and get results in about 2-3 weeks.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You are worrying about this way too much.
Duh.:doh0715: you ought to know me by now.

But seriously, I'm not worried about it, just overthinking it and thought I'd throw the interesting valvoline change out there and ask a question as well.

I think it'll be 4 months for now, check the miles, likely change it, and we'll go from there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts