Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I pulled the motor out of my truck last week I had no intention of rebuilding. It was pissing water out of two freeze plugs, leaking oil, and barely hanging on with a bad motor mount. Curiosity got the better of me and I ended up tearing it all the way down, so it turned into a "might as well" project. Here's how I got the block back today:

Goodies:

New specs:

351W
Rebuilt stock E7 heads
Bored .030"
Sealed Power hypereutectic pistons
Perfect Circle cast rings
Crane PowerMax RV-ish cam
Melling oil pump
Clevite cam/main/rod bearings
Victor Reinz gaskets
Cloyes double-roller timing set

Just wanted to share my crap. :thumbup

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Lookin good. I just got the heads bolted on my fresh new block. Looking forward the seeing the finished product.:thumbup

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,631 Posts
Sorry to rain on your parades, dudes, but I only have about 2200 miles on my Ranchero's 351W (retrofit) and it looks like it has five times that mileage. I do plan to have it steam-cleaned, but until then, it looks like Hell. Doesn't take much to turn Beauty into the Beast. That block looks like it was fired and shot-peened (that's what was done on mine); was it torque-plate honed?

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry to rain on your parades, dudes, but I only have about 2200 miles on my Ranchero's 351W (retrofit) and it looks like it has five times that mileage. I do plan to have it steam-cleaned, but until then, it looks like Hell. Doesn't take much to turn Beauty into the Beast. That block looks like it was fired and shot-peened (that's what was done on mine); was it torque-plate honed?
Youre not raining on my parade at all. Sounds like you (or whoever built it) didnt do a great job putting it together, at 2200 miles it shouldnt have leaky gaskets. My block was hot-tanked and bored .030". Assembly begins tomorrow after I pick up the heads and some assorted bolts. Still havent decided what color to paint it, probably grey on the block and maybe black on the plenum and v/c's.

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,631 Posts
Actually, the car has sat, barely used, for the last five years (I installed the engine six years ago last month, and it wasn't running until five years last March). My friend, whom I put the car together for, never really drove it, because he was on a fixed income. I've snugged the V/C and O/P bolts, but that's after I got it back a year ago January. But the point I was making is that normal driving makes engines get dirty, oil or not.

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, yes and no. Driving will get stuff dirty, but the oil is what makes it look like ass. If your car has sat that long, thats why its leaking. NOT driving a car is almost the worst thing you can do to it.

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:brownbag I know, but I also know I would knock it over if I stood it upright. Its only been sitting there a few days and will be back in tomorrow.

·
penis
3,318 Posts
When I pulled the motor out of my truck last week I had no intention of rebuilding. It was pissing water out of two freeze plugs, leaking oil, and barely hanging on with a bad motor mount. Curiosity got the better of me and I ended up tearing it all the way down, so it turned into a "might as well" project. Here's how I got the block back today:

Goodies:

New specs:

351W
Rebuilt stock E7 heads
Bored .030"
Sealed Power hypereutectic pistons
Perfect Circle cast rings
Crane PowerMax RV-ish cam
Melling oil pump
Clevite cam/main/rod bearings
Victor Reinz gaskets
Cloyes double-roller timing set

Just wanted to share my crap. :thumbup
So how is it going to work?:shrug:scratchhe

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, work on your observation skills. Also, your comment still makes no sense.

·
penis
3,318 Posts
Well, work on your observation skills. Also, your comment still makes no sense.
I see a crank in the background but didn't know if you were going aftermarket or machining the stock crank... Hense I do not see how it is going to work without a crank applied to said motor everything else is mentioned short of the intake set up (you are probably going stock on that I am assuming and the same for the exhaust). Also, I am giving you a little shit.

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also, I am giving you a little shit.
That makes more sense. :thumbup The stock crank is in great shape and is going back in, as is the intake, and already had a pair of Hedman long-tubes. It was just a little vague, so I figured it was stupidity.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,957 Posts
is that cam SD compatible?

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,747 Posts
is that cam SD compatible?
Yes. It's in Crane's CompuCam series, LSA is 114º, duration @ 0.050-in is 206º/214º, lift is in the mid-0.400 range. Should work well and keep a lot of low-end torque.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.