Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed this a little before, but today it really showed its face. Sometimes while driving around it seems like it takes more throttle than normal to hold speed. For example, today coming home from work I had to hold the pedal just short of the floor to hold 70mph. At first I thought it was just the wind because it was very windy but after I stopped, filled the truck up, and got back on the highway it barely took half throttle to maintain speed. This is with a rebuilt engine with approximately 5,000 miles on it, and all of the sensors were replaced except for the TPS and EGR. The motor has never run bad and gets great mileage for winter. So, what would cause such a drastic difference in pedal position?

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
I know thisll sound stupid, but: Do you have mats in the front? Are they pretty thick? It didn't happen to get under the pedal?

Reason I say this is cause I notice this all the time in mine, it comes from scoochin in on the floor and when I do this the mat gets under the gas pedal and takes up about a 3/8" or more in space between the floor and the pedal...and when you give it gas, it seems squishy and then I know what my problem is and when I move the mat out from under the pedal it goes (and acclerates) a lot faster. I would say on the highway is when it really matters, unless Im really trying to get going in town....

Just a thought
KC

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
Don't underestimate the wind. Remember you're driving a 5000-lb vehicle with the aerodynamics of a BARN.

Also, ambient conditions (wind, temperature, and atmospheric pressure) all have an effect upon how the engine runs. On your speed-density fuel injection system, atmospheric pressure is measured with the MAP sensor at startup and when you go to WOT. Inbetween those times, the measured value can vary enough to notice, though usually this only happens when you go up and down in the mountains.

As long as the engine is running great, no codes are thrown, and the drivetrain is in top shape, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know thisll sound stupid, but: Do you have mats in the front? Are they pretty thick? It didn't happen to get under the pedal?

KC
Honestly, I'll have to check that out to be sure, but the mats are not real thick and have a special cutout for the accelerator pedal.

Don't underestimate the wind. Remember you're driving a 5000-lb vehicle with the aerodynamics of a BARN.

Also, ambient conditions (wind, temperature, and atmospheric pressure) all have an effect upon how the engine runs. On your speed-density fuel injection system, atmospheric pressure is measured with the MAP sensor at startup and when you go to WOT.

As long as the engine is running great, no codes are thrown, and the drivetrain is in top shape, I wouldn't worry about it.
I know the wind has a big effect, but this all happened on the same day with all of the same conditions. Basically I stopped for gas and then when I restarted it and hit the highway again it was like I had tons more power. The Engine is running perfect and getting great mileage. I wanted to check the codes but I was pretty busy tonight. I'll keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
600 Posts
try maybe a tune up. You might not be running on all pistons

·
Registered
457 Posts
Check the timing, compression, spark plugs,distruibtor cap and button wires, air filter, and fuel filter. Also the new ethanol fuel could be an issue as well.:banghead

1 - 6 of 6 Posts