Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend I was climbing up a v-crack and slipped into it ending up on my side. I had to drive it out back wards and the engine started smoking bad. I got it out and on flat ground and the smoking stopped after a few minutes. It ran like crap the rest of the way home but got me there. What steps do I need to take to double check the motor to make sure everything is okay? Change spark plugs?? I added some oil after that happened. Any ideas would be great.:drinkbud

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No the engine wasn't over reved while on its side. My throttle cable jumped off which put me in that position in the first place. I shut it off when it first flopped, fixed the cable and then backed out mostly under its own idle power.
It smoke like that for a bout a minute and then quit. I drove it home and it seemed to be a little on the sluggish side. So I will pull the plugs and change them and change the oil and filter. I will check the compression. Anything else???:doh0715:

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
you had oil going into the intake most likely, or goign past the rings while it was shuit off making the soke cloud.
your intake its probably oily and th eplugs might be fouled.
did it ever start hammering the valves? if not, i wouldnt be to worried........

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Since it started and ran somewhat OK, any effects from the oil should be gone as far as intake and ignition goes. Since you had the engine off while it was flopped, you could have leaked oil into the cylinders and hydrolocked the engine. It doesn't take much oil to do it. It's possible you bent a valve or a connecting rod. I've never heard of oil collecting below the pistons causing any problems at idle or low rpm, so I wouldn't put that type of damage high on the list of probable problems. I agree that a compression test should be one of your first troubleshooting tests. Before you do that though, do a sanity check and make sure you don't have any ignition wires or vacuum hoses knocked off.

Start with the simple stuff and dig deeper as needed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.