Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody, I have a 1988 Bronco with the 351 Windsor in it and had some trouble today.

I was on the highway crusing along about 65 and heard some valve clattering when I would accelerate so I checked the temp gauge and it was fine so I just slowed down and let off the gas, then it started clattering some more around 50 so I decided to pull over and turn off the car but before I cam to a stop it died. After about 20 minutes I checked the radiator cap and I could touch it and take it off but the water was lukewarm and the engine was still burning hot so I believe the thermostat may be stuck and the water was not circulating.

I let the truck cool down for about an hour and then tried to fire it up but no luck, the engine did turn over but very very slowly like the battery was almost dead and it would never fire up.

So my questions are what would cause it to turn over so slowly, could it just be that I bent some valves and the timing is off and how much do valve jobs cost.

Thanks

·
Registered
472 Posts
Bad things happen when an engine overheats..... Pre ignition sets in, pistons swell up & scuff, rings loose their tension, head gaskets begin to fail, the engine oil breaks down, etc, etc. At some point aluminum parts warp, iron parts crack, valves warp or burn, hoses and emissions parts get crunchy or melt.....fun, fun.
And just so you'll know, the fact that you gots a hot motor but a gauge that reads normal tells me that there wasn't enough coolant surounding the gauge-sender to make it work. Coolant senders will not read hot air.

Aint saying all of that stuff happened to yours. Just saying that if you heard pronounced "clattering" and afterwards the engine doesn't want to turn over that it's time for some exploratory surgery.
Aint many answers we can give untill you do that.

DGW

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
Read thru your Haynes Manual then I'd "pull codes" at least for KOEO = key on engine off ..if the battery is good for any indication there but obviously if it won't turn over you can't perform KOER = key on engine running....which would give an internal indication of something...

How many miles on that engine.....?

An over heated engine like that could mean a blown head gasket at this point, once the viscosity of the oil breaks down there's no lubrication for moving parts, though with low level coolant and the oil possibly breaking down at that point I would think you would have heard more noise from the "valves" over all........hard to say.

Start with the basics like checking spark plug ends to see what they look like and put in a new set and if the engine wasn't too over heated, you might get lucky with changing the oil and coolant but first check the radiator neck for a "burnt" smell, possible signs of a blown head gasket...then check all the ignition components AND the (S) side "starter relay" to insure you have voltage going to the starter motor....lol lol.....then fuel delivery to see if it will fire up...

If it doesn't want to fire up then you may need to do a Wet/Dry compression check and find out what's going there.....low compression would indicate either rebuild the heads or deciding to rebuild the engine....

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

1 - 3 of 3 Posts