Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so today I tried to start my BKO and nothing happend:doh0715: I think it might be my alternator or my battery because some times when i start it up my engine my RPMs jump up and go back down untill i start driving and my battery needle does the same thing it jumps up and down untill i start driving.
some one earlier said it might be my alternator but my engine wont even turn over no noise at all? any suggestions? :whiteflag

I have a 1990 5.8 V8 Eddie Bauer if that helps at all

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Charge the battery (advance will do it for you for free) then take it to a local part place and have them test the alternator (again, advance does it for free). Mine does the idle thing too when i first start it when it's cold out. If the rpm drops below about 400 (like on a very cold morning) your voltage will also drop until the rpm comes back up.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Do your headlights or radio come on? If not I would check your connections at the battery, or check for a dead battery.

If they do come on, do they dim at all when you try to start the truck? If they don't dim at all, then there is probably a problem with the starting circuit.

One test is to see if you here the starter solenoid click when you try to start the truck. It makes a rather large click and you can hear it with the hood open. If the battery is low, then many times you will here the solenoid click rapidly when you try to turn over the engine since there isn't enough juice to hold the solenoid open when the starter starts to try and spin up.

If there is no click, I would check the connections to the starter solenoid.

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
Wow man you really need to buy a haynes manual, and just start reading on here a little bit. You figured out how to put gas in it yet?? That last part was a joke.

By the sound of your question Im gonna go way way back, Seams like you didnt know where to start, so this post should be just what you need.

RPM's jump up... hummm maybe your computer knows its cold and a cold engine doesnt run very well at 600RPM's, not to mention doesnt warm up very fast. Funny, cars have been doing this type of thing on there own since at least the 60's.

Nothing happens.... engine problem.... No I dont think so, try under the hood probably (at least its the first place I would look)
Pop the hood

Far left side, the thing that says Everstart is what your battery should look like. (if its still there) Check the connections (2 of them) by twisting with your bare hands(watch out for the white stuff, its dried acid) If they are both tight, hook up some jumper cables to it and another vehicle, try not to kill yourself (I am taking no responsibility so please read on), if youve never used any, ask how to and I will gladly tell you how. Once you get them hooked up Wait a few minutes (use this time to figure out what was left on in your truck... if anything) and try to start your truck again.

Hear clicking??? keep charging. Engine turns for a second and gets weak??? keep charging.

There has to be a reason your battery is dead. Maybe you left something on like your headlights, or didnt close your door all the way and the interior light wore it down. If this is the case and it hasnt been below 0*F then your truck will be fine once you get it running through the use of jumper cables and should take no further action.

Good luck;)

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
wakeav8b said:
:histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica
Im not laughin, it took me a few minutes to find a pic of my battery (that wasnt mounted in the back that is)
Edit
apparently "rear mounted batterys" was a good place to post pics of the move to the front again!

Heres an early pic for tommorrows lesson, how to diagnose a starter relay problem

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts

This pic shows how not to build a battery hold-down. I love it when parts of my truck start welding themselves together (note the S hooks proximaty to the + terminal... break loose around a corner and listen to it fry)

·
Registered
77 Posts
81Bronk36 said:

This pic shows how not to build a battery hold-down. I love it when parts of my truck start welding themselves together (note the S hooks proximaty to the + terminal... break loose around a corner and listen to it fry)
Oh man, instant arc welder :shocked Sweet setup, ratcheting cargo straps work pretty well for keeping batteries in place

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
THe hold down on the battery in front was a lot longer for that purpose.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.