Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need some help pulling my motor, due to it burning more oil then gas i want to get it out so i can get a new motor in. due to it burning oil i am unable to drive it very far i dont want to motor to seize up on me. would like to get this done asap. looking for help around torrance area.

·
Banned
4,446 Posts
i need some help pulling my motor, due to it burning more oil then gas i want to get it out so i can get a new motor in. due to it burning oil i am unable to drive it very far i dont want to motor to seize up on me. would like to get this done asap. looking for help around torrance area.

i work in long beach off the 710 and the 405 let me know when your planing on doing this maybe ill be able to lend a hand or two

·
Premium Member
9,989 Posts
A1 rental in Torrance , Crenshaw and Lomita Blvd. has good "prices" on engine hoists with a lift chain and hook, I went there in 08 when I swapped in my new 302 EFI long block by myself when the GF was in Europe. The trick is to get a feel for how much chain length you need to "lift" the old engine up/over the core support depending on what you use on the top, i.e. bolt on bracket to the intake manifold or chain across front/back using exisiting bolts and repeat for new engine back in etc.

If your not going to pull the transmission leave a big block of wood or floor jack underneath it so it stays in place.

As for the upper "harness" I used blue painters tape and labled all the male/female sensor connectors so when reconnecting you don't have to think about where anything goes, it's a no brainer. Once the harness is disconnected, take some time and do a visual inspection and clean exposed wires with CRC Electrical spray then repair/retape any damaged, chaffed or exposed wiring then lay the harness off to the side out of the way so nothing happens to it while working or dropping the rebuilt engine back in.

Spray LOTS of PB Blaster penetrant on ALL bolts so it's easier to unscrew without breaking them but replace any that look questionable, especially the water pump bolts being exposed to coolant all the time they get NASTY AND make reference on which bolts go where threading back in, they have different lengths so you'll want to get it right when you put it all back, assuming you're tearing it down that far.....PITA.....

I developed an assembly line on the garage floor to keep by grouping parts and nut/s bolts together that were to be re-used, repainted labeling them in freezer sandwich bags for inventory. Anything re-useable can be wire wheeled and repainted like new, mine came out really nice but it was a lot of attention to detail but you'll save a ton of money if you have the time. Check my videos on www.supermotors.net/17406 and click on "my flip video library" just above the videos displayed and there should be several videos dated July and Aug, new 302 EFI long block and you'll get an idea of what I did and see if it's help to you.

When you unbolt the tranny from the back of the engine there's a dipstick tube "keeper bracket' on the tube where the bolt keeps the tube in place, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES....lol lol.....pull out the tranny dip stick tube from the tranny otherwise fluid will piss out everywhere making a huge mess, you'll have to replace the O rings ( $0.33 each) on the end of the tube before putting it back in or it will leak....

Dismantle as much as you can off the top of the engine first and that way you won't have to take the hood off, that's the way I did mine and I hung a flourescent light fixture on the inside of the hood with power line and it was like daylight inside the engine bay when the garage door was closed. If you can have or can get one great but any bright light will do so you can see better you know.

Make sure you know how to "stab" a distributor so it fires up.......there's tons of info here for you to search if need or PM me if you get stuck or need advice on anything OK....

Take your time, use common sense and you can avoid frustration etc......I'm not sure I can make it over to lend a hand, a lot depends on what dates and time of day as I have my 85 year old mother living here I care for along with the GF etc. so time for me is limited.

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

1 - 6 of 6 Posts