Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
let me start off by apologizing for being stupid and not thinking this all the way through, this is my first engine rebuild and im a little lost right now. getting to the point.... i'm moving out to the Seattle area from kansas i want my engine in tip top shape for the trip (already got the transmission rebuilt) and i tore into it with the help of a mechanic friend that ended up not being that much help, i've got the engine all tore apart and and an engine kit from northern auto parts sitting on the table.....new cam, lifters, pistons, gaskets, etc..... also have a re-maned crank with matching bearings. i know i need to have the pistons swapped at a shop and the new cam bearings put in but my main questions right now is weather or not i need to have the assembly balanced, everything is supposed to be stock replacement but im just double checking everything, any other advice is welcome as well as insults for my stupidity

thank you all :whiteflag

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
Yes, the rotating assembly should always be balanced by a qualified machine shop. I don't trust manufacturers like I used to, so everything is inspected thoroughly, by professionals if need be, before it's put into my machines.

Also have them inspect your block. If your piston-to-wall clearances aren't right, you're going to either lock a piston or have very poor compression. They should also be able to dress the cylinder walls for you, too.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
:stupid

Also don't take this to harsh, but if this is your 1st engine and you want it to last, I would take it to a builder or at least get a experience mechanic that has done a few.

you have everything that Sig stated, plus ring clearance, cylinder pin fitting, cleaning the block, maganufluxing and honing the mains. I would not buy a kit and think you can just assemble it, without taking the parts into a shop.

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,877 Posts
Other than the 'factory ballance ' that is completed by the Harmonic damper, Precision ballancing which might run 200 to 250 dollars is well worth the money, It makes for a stronger more reliable engine that will last longer. When i build the "monster 351w" for my Bronco that's what im going to do-

1 - 5 of 5 Posts