Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of putting together my new motor for my '90 Bronco. One thing that has me stumped is the oil filter holder. I can't think of a better name, but it's the hollow bolt that comes out of the block that the oil filter screws on. How does that bolt come out of the block? I need to swap that over to the new block but I don't see how to remove it.

Thanks,
James

·
Registered
125 Posts
isnt it just like a piece of all thread? i believe if u can get a hold of it you can just back it out, i m not sure tho, thats what i think it is, but maybe wait for someone else to answer u..

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm thinking it just screws out, but I'm not sure what to grab it with so I don't mangle the threads. Here is a couple of camera phone pics of what I'm talking about...

James

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,420 Posts
They gave you a different block. The one on your block right now doesn't come out(I'm pretty sure it's cast in that way). The outside looks cast. If it was removeable there would be flats on the inside for a big allen wrench. As long as that's the only difference you can still use it but I would make the store where you got it give you the threaded part that goes in there for the oil filter. When I replaced the engine in my 90 Crown Vic several years ago the same thing happened to me. The new engine was just like yours and my old one was cast like yours too. I got it from AZ and when I showed them the difference(the block was still in the back of their store) they gave me the adapter at no charge.

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
had the same thing happen to me. You cant get that old one out, but you can go to ford and buy one for $6.00 and it has a hex shape inside it instead of round.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the quick reply guys. I'll call the shop where I bought the motor from in the morning and see what they say. My Bronco has been sitting for almost a year and I'm anxious to get it back on the road again.

James

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Thats an early block. I might have one in my engine pile if you need the fitting. I'll check in a bit

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I have about 10 of them. I can send you one, or go to a junk yard and find an early engine (I think around 1975 and older) and remove the filter and take the fitting out. Be prepared with the breaker bar, there in there at something like 150+ foot pounds

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I found one at a local dealer, but the parts guy says it is for the 5.0, not the 5.8. Don't they use the same oil filter?

James

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
yes it uses the same filter. it should work.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks again guys for the info. I found one at a dealer on the north side of town. The engine is coming together nicely, all I have left is the intake and water pump and then it'll be ready to be installed in the Bronco. :clap

James

1 - 13 of 13 Posts