Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Engine Rebuild update MORE PICS

She's just about ready to be put back in. A few interesting things I want to point out. You can see in this first picture the intake had two holes on either side right next to the bolt holes. Not sure what they were for (they are not on the stock intake) so I just plugged them. But I don't know what to do about the other large hole right in the center. I think it is for a freez plug but it did not come with one so I will need to find one that fits.

This next pic is of the mustang intake. You can just make out the two small gold plugs on either side right in the middle. Those holes were for coolant. Plugged em'. Then there are the two larger holes that I am putting the two vacume plugs into. Lastly is the PCV valve. After plugging that one hole I will put the PCV in the other, which is going to be the rear of the intake. But I don't know where the PCV valve goes after that. Seems as though it goes to both valve covers but I am not positive. If thats the case the intake just sucks the oil blow by back into the intake and into the engine? Is that right? If someone has a good diagram or can explain to me how the blow-by and PCV system work I would much appreciate it

I think those are the only questions I have so far so here are some more pics. The upper intake is not bolted yet I just wanted to show the clearance. Hey Ryan, it fits. :chili:

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
38,359 Posts
Sure wish mine was even close to that purty!
Oh well.... at least she'll run. Color me GREEN W/ENVY!!

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
I thought you were going to point the upper intake to the passanger side. Thats when the fuel rail would be an issue.

that big hole in the back of the lower intake is for the PCV valve, it leads down to the oil valey by the lifters. You can use it, or the one in the valve cover. I'll look for some pictures

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fireguy50 said:
I thought you were going to point the upper intake to the passanger side. Thats when the fuel rail would be an issue.

that big hole in the back of the lower intake is for the PCV valve, it leads down to the oil valey by the lifters. You can use it, or the one in the valve cover. I'll look for some pictures
I was going to but like you said the fuel rail was in the way. It was hitting the fuel regulator. It seems to be fine this way. Seems it would be easier to get the mustang PCV and plug the valve cover. Fill me in though. I hook the PCV to the lower intake and simply run it up to the upper and call it done? Doesn't it suck oil into the upper intake? Also I am wondering how this Mustang EGR works. I searched and I have found it works internally but I don't understand how.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
There was a small hole in each cylinder head in the very middle of the intake. Exhaust moves from the cylinder head, threw the lower intake to that small center hole into the upper intake. the then moves out that small hole under the thorottle opening into the EGR spacer. The the EGR valve opens and lets it from inside the spacer into the air flow behind the throttle body.

clear as mud?

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fireguy50 said:
There was a small hole in each cylinder head in the very middle of the intake. Exhaust moves from the cylinder head, threw the lower intake to that small center hole into the upper intake. the then moves out that small hole under the thorottle opening into the EGR spacer. The the EGR valve opens and lets it from inside the spacer into the air flow behind the throttle body.

clear as mud?
Yeah. But why do our trucks suck the gas right from the exhaust manifolds and the Mustang use that system? This doesn't have anything to do with the air injection holes that I plugged on the front and back of the heads?

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
the 5.0L in trucks is kinda the same way as mustangs. Exhaust flows to the lower intake, then a tub runs to the EGR like our 351. The 351 skips the intake and goes from the header to the EGR.

The smog pump holes in the back are not part of the EGR

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
Dude... im insanely jealous of those heads...

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had a few issues to figure out today such as the PCV system and clearance of the valve covers. I will have to take the upper intake off to adjust the valves. I can't get the right side valve cover on with the upper intake on. It's real close but the two plugs I put in underneath the intake get in the way. Tomorrow I will power wash the engine bay and put her in. I hope to fire it up tomorrow evening. :chili:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.