Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been toying with the option of buying a used 302 and doing a full rebuild to drop into my 92 bronco. The idea behind this is so I can drive the vehicle until I'm ready to perform the swap. I've found a 302 from a 1990 crown vic which is complete all the way up to the air cleaner for a great price. Is it worth rebuilding this engine or should I look for one out of a explorer, f150, or bronco to rebuild instead?

·
Registered
224 Posts
The crown vic should be a non-ho roller motor. However, there is no provision for the knock sensor in the back of the motor.

·
Registered
80 Posts
if your planning to do a complete rebuild, i wouldnt spend more then $300 on an engine, as they can be had from all over the place 302 and 351 alike. just the 351 roller is harder to get. but the 302s can be seen in J/y, pick yards, and C/L. anything much over $300 i dont think is worth going for. before you even pick up an engine, you should price out a complete engine rebuild kit, and the possibility that it may need machine work. add that all up and compare it to possible short/long block crate engines.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well it's a toss up between a 302 shortblock that needs a complete rebuild (bored, honed, rings, bearings) for $200 or a long block out of a 96 f150 with a rotten frame with 25k on it for $500. Guess I'll go with the long block since the master rebuild kit costs about $500 for the short block. The long block was rebuilt from a 88 grand marquis core and is running in a 96 f150, so I'm assuming that has the provision for a knock sensor correct?

·
Registered
224 Posts
. The long block was rebuilt from a 88 grand marquis core and is running in a 96 f150, so I'm assuming that has the provision for a knock sensor correct?
I doubt it does have one. My 5.0 in my bronco is from a '90 Grand Marquis wagon and it doesn't have one. I just removed the sensor and left the plug open. No issues

·
Registered
224 Posts
Also, I forgot to mention, that the heads are different on the Grand marquis engine and require a different spark plug compared to the truck heads. I don't think there is much a performance difference in one head to the other.

·
Nvr Been Bnnd
8,675,444 Posts
Theres no replacement for displacement, shoparound for a 351 of the same era 92-96 itl bolt right up.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I got the grand marquis engine complete from head to toe which came out of a 96 f150. The engine was rebuilt using the marquis block and heads about 25k miles ago and was taken out of the f150 truck because the frame was rotted badly. Can you experts give me an idea of if I can or should just drop it into my 92 bronco or if I should move all the accessories from my current bronco 302 to the marquis 302 from the f150 and will those accessories fit and does it really matter?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts