Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I thought I'd just make a note to post since I haven't seen any response to my original engine resale post. Anyway my stock truck engine. With new timing set oil pump a stock Mustang roller cam and lifters. Explorer GT40 heads and explorer intake. I was wondering if maybe the camshaft that I got was not actually a stock Mustang cam, but in fact it is. I pulled the distributor and looked down and just behind the camshaft gear it's stamped ZE.
That indicates that it is a stock Mustang camshaft.
So it's running extremely rich. Runs me out of the shop. On one key on engine running test. It did give me a code for O2 sensor fixed rich. But on other key on engine running test it has not set that code. But I do have quite an exhaust leak so it may be sucking some air. Can't really trust the 32 year old sensor.
I was questioning a lot about the camshaft or valve train issues because it's only pulling 15in vacuum at 900 RPM. I know it should pull 17 to 18
But I think I need to stop and go back to basic diagnosis at this point because as I was unhooking some testers so I could start running a compression test I unhooked the vacuum gauge from the manifold and looked at it now I think duh like duh.
Maybe this is why I'm showing 15in and not 17 in
15817419254764755868176376919864.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,530 Posts
Look, I have no idea. But I read your last post and this new thread...

You haven't asked any questions. Maybe if you asked a question specific to your problem, those who know would come in and answer.

·
Eric
2,560 Posts
We could start with: What year BKO is the platform vehicle? SD or MAF?

Since you say one of the sensors is 32 years old, and it's 2020, I'll assume your truck is an '88. That makes it an SD EEC, unless you changed that out. However, in your other thread, the engine you pulled is a roller block, based on the pics. Is that the engine that came in the BKO when you bought it, or was that swapped in at a previous time? When you hooked up all the EXPO stuff, what wiring changes did you make to accommodate the new hardware, if any? Have you double-checked all your ignition? Double-checked all the vacuum lines?

Can't really tell if these threads are simply a statement of procedure (build thread), or if you're asking for input/advice. Some details about your vehicle would help immensely either way.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry. I wasn't asking questions. I'm more just updating what I'm doing.
My truck is an 88' 5.0 AOD 226k
No lift stock tires and drivetrain. All that is in my info.
I'm a master technician and own my own shop. I can only work on my truck after hours.
This is a project that's been on the back burner for years.
I have all the resources available to me for diagnosing and repairing anything. But time is what I don't have much of.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I started the reseal post just to post. I haven't posted many threads. I'll end this and since I'm getting a lot of projects done this year. I'll start a build thread. Covering the restomod.
Thanks for asking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts