Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drivin the bko again as you all may have noticed from my series of recent posts. All of a sudden seemingly only between 40 and 50, when im at a constant throttle, the engine will over rev for less than a second, then return to normal. sometimes this happens once, sometimes a few times.

Also. I noticed that when i push the throttle to a specific spot (fairly deep in it), i get a constant whooshing noise until i either push farther down or let up.

Engine is a new jasper put in roughly 4k miles ago.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
So, it's free-revving as if you popped it into neutral for a second or so, right?

Sounds more like a transmission problem than an engine problem. Since you have an AOD and not an E4OD, the problem can't be a bad MLPS. That leaves the OD band and direct drive components (clutch pack, shaft, splined components in TC and direct clutch hub).

Does it do this if you keep it in 3rd gear? Is the transmission fluid okay? How's the TV cable, grommets, and adjustment?

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,830 Posts
my thought was a slipping timing chain. that will cause the rpms to do that to but check the tranny stuff first.

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
kemicalburns said:
my thought was a slipping timing chain. that will cause the rpms to do that to but check the tranny stuff first.
:stupid

that is what happened in my ranger when i had it and the timing chaon was slipping. it eventually broke and left me stranded on the mountain.

ken

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
A timing chain wont "slip", it will instead skip a tooth or two when it is old and streched which will change the valve timing and make it run like crap. Besides, the motor is new so that should mean that it is a new timing chain. If it revs up for a second like it is in nuetral, I would be looking at the tranny as well.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
crap. sorry guys, i never changed my info. its an e40d. i wrote that when i bought the truck and didnt really know.

since the first post, i noticed that it does happen above 50 up until about 55. it never happens below 40. also. when cruising, if i just barely touch the pedal and stay there, its like it doesnt know if it wants to go or idle.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
I think you need to pull your codes from the computer. It'd be a good place to start, and all you need is a paperclip.

You might want to check your TPS and MLPS afterward for proper function. If you do a search on these items, or flip through the Haynes manual, there's plenty of information on testing both of them.

Is your speedometer acting erractic as well when this happens?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts