Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe someone can help? I have a 92 xlt 4x4 auto 5.0 bronco, while driving at highway speed the engine just shut down. I slowed down shifted to neutral and it started right up. Several miles later it happened again. Brought the truck to a mech and he read a egr code,replaced egr . They then drove around awhile with no problems. Hours later I went to pick up truck and now it would not start at all. The next day they said it needed a ignition control modual, replaced! They then drove around awile again with no problem. Went to pick up truck and got 2 miles and the engine shut down like before. It shut down several more times back to the shop. The next day the mechs drove around several different and durations with no problems [go figure]. They read computer again no codes! They cheched wiring connections nothing found. The next day they said they could not find any problems and the truck runs good. Went to pick up truck again, and guess what? Now it would not start. after some troubleshooting they say that there is no injector pulsewidth . anyone out there have any info for me it would be helpfull

THANKS ANDY

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
14,965 Posts
Did they check the fuel pressure at the rail, could be your FPR or maybe your pump is about to go.

·
Registered
621 Posts
i've heard of that happening when the pump is about to go. no pulsewidth in the injectors sounds like a possibility. troubleshoot the fuel system.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, gave that info to my mech he is trouble shooting as we speak.
He states that it will not even start with starting fluid now.

·
Registered
511 Posts
My engine kept trying to shut off on me while driving. Scary as hell because the power steering shuts down at the same time. It turns out that it was my positive battery cable. It had a short in it and it would stop sending power. I replaced the cable and NO PROBLEMS since! :thumbup
May not be your problem but it never hurts to check.

·
Banned
34,685 Posts
The fuel pump doesn't have anything to do with injector pulse. It's the PIP, inside the distributor. That's what they SHOULD have replaced instead of the TFI (ICM). I'm sure they'll never admit it, but I bet they cleared an ignition fault code that they MISdiagnosed.

Before you agree to a new PIP, make them give you a cost/warranty comparison for a complete reman distributor.

·
Lick my balls
13,048 Posts
Find a new mechanic. It sounds like these guys are just throwing money at it like they were a novice backyard mechanic. Did they not do any kind of a test before they've replaced these parts that quote unquote or not working? You should ask for all your old parts back since they are yours after all, and they're still working.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, they replaced the pip and the truck runs good now . I did not mention that the mech is a good friend. I asked about the TFI that was replaced and they tried the old one after the pip was replaced and the truck did not run, so it was bad. Thanks for every ones input it was a real help.

ANDY

·
Registered
136 Posts
Steve83 said:
The fuel pump doesn't have anything to do with injector pulse. It's the PIP, inside the distributor. That's what they SHOULD have replaced instead of the TFI (ICM). I'm sure they'll never admit it, but I bet they cleared an ignition fault code that they MISdiagnosed.

Before you agree to a new PIP, make them give you a cost/warranty comparison for a complete reman distributor.
I concur, same thing happened to me, I was on the freeway when it stalled, good thing I was next to the shoulder, scared the caca out of me.:shocked

1 - 13 of 13 Posts