Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am borrowing an engine stand from a friend and he doesnt have any bolts to hold the engine on the stand. what kind do i need. I have a 351W

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
Grade 8 bolts that are about an inch longer than the tube in the stand that the bolts go through so you have plenty of threads in the block to hold it up. Just take one of the bellhousing bolts to match up the threads and measure the part on the stand that the bolts go through. I think mine are about 3-3 1/2" long. Make sure you put a washer or 2 between the bolt head and the stand also.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
Kind of off topic, but...

I know i had a time trying to find bots to hold the engine on the stand. every place i went to either didn't have the right threads, or right size. I ended up buying some that were too long and stakin on about 6 washers a peice to get it to work

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
magnumpi said:
Kind of off topic, but...

I know i had a time trying to find bots to hold the engine on the stand. every place i went to either didn't have the right threads, or right size. I ended up buying some that were too long and stakin on about 6 washers a peice to get it to work
Just get a length of ready rod next time and cut to any length you want.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
If you can't find them PM me. I have an almost unlimited supply(Ford factory), I could send ya some. But I got mine many years ago at a hardware store and they had exactly what I needed. If Lowes/Home Depot don't have them the Local hardware store should. Did the little guy get pushed out of Marquette by the big guys yet? I know Marquette has changed a lot since I was a kid, it's gone from a little town to a lot of big stores.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
waltman said:
Just get a length of ready rod next time and cut to any length you want.
i wish i had thought of that, would have been a lot easier

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont have bolt to match them up (bellhousing i mean) i got the engine from my friends brother... his wife was making him get rid of it for years so i got it for free WOO HOO. also how so i get to the bolts to remove the torque converter

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
Pull off the inspection plate on the bottom front of the trans and turn the engine with a ratchet on the crank bolt until one of the TC nuts is easy to remove. Then just keep turning the engine by hand until you have all 4 off.

You can pull one of the bellhousing bolts out of your truck to get the size. I'll take a look in morning and see if I can get the correct bolt size and let you know what it is.

·
Registered
213 Posts
IIRC, the bolts are 7/16, coarse thread.

I ended up just buying a chunk of "all-thread" and nuts/washers, then cut to fit.

Now I just need to get the damn thing rebuilt so I can play musical engines in the Bronco

·
Zombie Hunter
13,687 Posts
jimzbronc said:
IIRC, the bolts are 7/16, coarse thread.

I ended up just buying a chunk of "all-thread" and nuts/washers, then cut to fit.

Now I just need to get the damn thing rebuilt so I can play musical engines in the Bronco

Jim, if you need help with that let me know. I would definitely drive a few hours to come down and give you a hand.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Thanks Rob--right now I just gotta get the cash together and get all the parts/machine work done.

Project is on hold since I can't lift over 10 lbs after surgery, so it'll probably end up being summer before it's done. Then I just gotta figure out what to do with the leftover engine

·
Zombie Hunter
13,687 Posts
jimzbronc said:
Thanks Rob--right now I just gotta get the cash together and get all the parts/machine work done.

Project is on hold since I can't lift over 10 lbs after surgery, so it'll probably end up being summer before it's done. Then I just gotta figure out what to do with the leftover engine

Hey, we got a lot in common. I am getting a surgery too......but i can't lift anything.

I know of a couple good machine shops in my area if you need.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts