Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well crap! The bronco has started acting up again. :banghead
This time its running very ruff after driving through mud puddles, not deep ones just ones on the road. The engine stumbles like water in the distributor.
After doing some small test, there is no water getting up to the engine by the distributor, no water in the air box.
Almost all engine electrical connections has a large amount of electrical grease in them to help prevent water from getting in.
The distributor has gasket seal around the MSD cap to seal it off and electrical grease loaded up in the spark plug wires.
New plugs and wire have been put in, it was doing it before this and after.
Its almost like there is something underneath the truck getting shorted out. The only connection I can think of under there is the neutral safety switch, and the fuel pump connections oh and the trailer light connections.
I haven't had a chance to get under it to look at it.
Im getting the 3 blinking lights and high rpms at start up, hot or cold. I know to check the MAF, IAC, and vacuum leaks. I thought I had this fixed when I had a lose connection on the oil breather to air intake hose. But its back also.
Would there be a connection between the two troubles?
Another fun filled weekend driving through puddles trying to find the short. I thought I would get one weekend off from working on this thing.
And the diver side window has come off track or something cause now it want go down straight without help.
POS!! Hipropos--->:box0715: <---bronco,... bronco winning at this point.

·
Registered
610 Posts
um. only suggestion i have at the moment is instead of driving it through puddles, get yourself a hose or a squirt bottle and lay under your truck and spray stuff...see if any of that causes a stumble. that'll find if water is causing it..

also, check to see if your electric timing advance isnt loose or what not. even on little puddles, water splashes the inside of your hood and "rains" down on everything else.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i will do that, but more fun driving through puddles.
But don’t like laying under the truck wearing my Speedo with the engine running squirting everything with a water hose.:chili:

:toothless

·
Registered
33 Posts
You might want to check your spark plugs to see if any of them are cracked. If there is a cracked one and water hits it it will arc off the water and the engine will stumble. You could easily check this at night or in a dark garage, use a water bottle and squirt your plugs with the motor running, if there is a cracked plug or split wire you will see the electricity arc through the water.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bscott said:
You might want to check your spark plugs to see if any of them are cracked. If there is a cracked one and water hits it it will arc off the water and the engine will stumble. You could easily check this at night or in a dark garage, use a water bottle and squirt your plugs with the motor running, if there is a cracked plug or split wire you will see the electricity arc through the water.

i just changed the plugs last weekend here is the tread on it take a look at the plugs
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66255&highlight=BOSCH

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fixed it

well i cleand the IAC and MAF, the IAC was really gummed up, used about half a can of cleaner to get it all out. remove all air hoses, found no cracks or leaks. check plugs, wires and caps. no arking or cracks.
after cleaning and putting it all back together, i drove it through water holes for about a hour, the problem never came back. got up under the truck and all around the engine with it running with the water hose, and soak everything and it never even stumbled.
dont know if it was just the IAC needing cleaning or what but its all better now.
got the window fixed also. most all the felt is worn off the window track. so i sprayed it with liquid wrench and it dosent bind up anymore now. also replaced all the door screws and the little plastic pin things from the "HELP" parts from checkers. no more door rattling:chili:

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I know you said you got her fixed up, but have you checked for any codes.....I was thinking since you said "underneath" it could have something to do with your MLPS, and a quick code scan would let you know for sure.

Oh and I always thought that Bigfart or Sasscratch or who ever that is was afraid of the ocean.....crap now I cant even go to the beach any more!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MLPS is what i was thinking ive replace it twice over the past year. i pulled the plug to look at it, all seemd good there.
i havent read the codes, i reset them after the cleaning.
if it does it again i will pull the codes for sure.

and we see a lot of fat basters around here during the winter time. they come in from up north to get out of the cold. usally there pasty white. they get sun burned the first day on there vacations and then spend the rest of the time inside hiding from the sun....:histerica

·
Registered
134 Posts
I had the same problem with mine, turned out to be the oxygen sensor, Once I changed the sensor and never had a problem since. Mine was shprting out when the water got on it, plus it only happened when it was wet outside.
Jay

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JaysBigBronco said:
I had the same problem with mine, turned out to be the oxygen sensor, Once I changed the sensor and never had a problem since. Mine was shprting out when the water got on it, plus it only happened when it was wet outside.
Jay

did you run codes to come up with that fix. or just poke and hope.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'll second that.

JaysBigBronco said:
Jay
The computer did not throw any codes. Between my mechanic and I, we replaced the plugs (2x), wires (2x), distributer, distributer cap, rotor, removed/cleaned the throttle body and tested the TPS & IAC and a few other things that I cannot remember. Then the mechanic replaced the computer and it still stumbled everytime it rained or when I drove through the car wash and did not record any codes. It would stumble while the computer was hooked up to the EEC and none of the sensors registered any faults. It stumped 2 mechanics (1 at the local dealership) for a couple weeks. The mechanic replaced the O2 sensors and no more stumbling, going on 2 years now.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i will have to keep that in mind, it hasnt done it again. but then again it hasnt rained in a while, so we will see.
i did hose down the O2 while it was running and it didnt stumble so it makes me wonder.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts