Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's right. As some of you know I have had some seriously bad engine problems since I bought the truck. :banghead Since day one I have had a major blow-by problem. Known by the amount of oil blown into the air-box. I was told then that I should rebuild it. But didn't. So I just learned to live with it and continued to drive the truck. That was almost 3 years ago.

Recently I have started to notice that my engine has been running rougher then usual, and getting hotter than normal. So I took it in to have a compression test done and determined that I was only running on 6 cyclinders :doh0715:. Mind you this is a 302. It was time to go.

Well to it's rescue is a 92 F-150 302 with 50,000 miles :shocked going in. An older guy owned it and used it to run to the store and back in a small country home. He got rearended and decided to part it. I bought the engine for 300 bucks and it's going in this week, ofcourse after some freshing up, swapping some parts over and new fluids.

:popc1:

That's all Carry on with your day.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,353 Posts
Cool, sounds like a good deal.

What all are you replacing?

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, sounds like a good deal.

What all are you replacing?
Just the usual wear items right now.

Water Pump, Thermostat, MSD stuff (mine was only a year old), oil pump, exhaust, my 3G Alt, Condensor (mine was new too) Etc.

Not doing anything crazy right now. Just want to get in and make sure that everything is running good. If so I will go from there. If it doesn't work out then I will take the motor that is in it now (my worn out motot) and rebuild it.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bronco went into the shop today. Should be ready in a couple days. I'm so excited. :chili:

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
How much are they charging you to install it?

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How much are they charging you to install it?
$500.

It's so good to have friends in the buisness. :rofl:

Updates:

Haven't heard anything from him yet today. He was supposed to pull my engine this morning and swap over all the goods.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,353 Posts
$500 is a good deal for an engine install. Thats what I gave for the labor on mine. And that included the clutch install.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah that's what I thought. He's doing the swap of all my parts and also putting in the engine.

Like I said he's a friend of the Family.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well guys here is another update.

Swap moving kinda slow right now. Some other things have come up with the Mechanic which have taken away from working on the BKO. Since he is a family friend and doing this for a good price I guess I can't complain to much. But as far as I have heard everything has looked good with the engine so far.

The second bit of good news is that I scored some GT-40 Heads. Found a guy who wanted to get them out of his garage and is going to let me have them for 200 bucks.:shocked I will probably have them cleaned up and adjusted, then take them to the Mechanic to put them on.

So I guess it's good that he hasn't been working to much on the BKO.

I have a question though. :whiteflag

Doing some searching for this right now. This is what I have:

89 Stock 302 Computer
92 302 Stock Motor
GT-40 Heads.

Will it work? i have read that the S/D computers will work but they didn't say stock came in truck computers.

Going to continue researching be back soon.

Thanks

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,353 Posts
You should be fine. Throw in a stock mustang cam, headers and be done with it.

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,826 Posts
is the 92 motor going to bolt up to your AOD? Sounds like a sweet motor for $500 (parts). Ive read that all you really need to do to get some sweet power is change the heads and intake manifolds. let us know how the engine performs with the GT40 heads. Maybe get it dyno'd so we can see the power increase...

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You should be fine. Throw in a stock mustang cam, headers and be done with it.
Thanks GT. I may hold off on the cam for now. The mustang cam is not what I am looking for. ALthough it is a good cam it was designed for high rpm. I want something with low rpm torque. Which I have heard the stock cam can be nice with the GT-40 heads.

is the 92 motor going to bolt up to your AOD? Sounds like a sweet motor for $500 (parts). Ive read that all you really need to do to get some sweet power is change the heads and intake manifolds. let us know how the engine performs with the GT40 heads. Maybe get it dyno'd so we can see the power increase...
Stan as far as I know a 302 is a 302. SO it should bolt right up. Yeah I am hoping that these heads will improve the performance of the engine. For the 302 the factory intake are just as good if not better than anything aftermarket you can buy.

And I will definitly let you know how this thing runs when I get it back. :cry (time couldn't move slow enough right now.)

Thanks for looking guys and trying to help a brother out here. :thumbup

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Good decision not to install a Mustang cam........as you wrote, your low-end torque would go away.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SO just when you think that your day couldn't get worse, mine does. At 9:30 this morning while at work my mechanic calls and says the engine is trash. Thats right my "supposed 50,000 mile engine" in fact was not that. It started with a loose timing chain, that turned out to be spun bearings, nicked crankcase, and cracked pistons.

Needless to say I was little pissed this morning when I got the call. I have yet to call the guy who sold me the engine. He said he heard it run and it sounded great. I'm going to ask him if he thought it was supposed to sound like a diesel.

Well now for the good news. My mechaninc ordered me a NEW ENGINE this morning and it comes with a 2 year warranty. I am so ready to get this over with. And I knew that things were going along to smoothly. Should have figured something wasn't right.

I'll keep you guys updated as I hear them. The engine should be here Monday or Tuesday and should be the BKO back in my hands by next Wednesday. I cant wait.

·
Registered
352 Posts
wow

Well good luck! I hope the rest goes smoothly for you.

JD

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
bummer, what short block you go with?

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
the only thing i had to mention was a rear main seal if you are already in there... thats usually a great item to pick up when freshening up a motor.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
bummer, what short block you go with?
I pick up a factory spec 302 long block. Comes with all new parts. The only thing that we are reusing from my original motor is the intake, and acc. (alternator, compressor, etc.) Everything else is NEW and comes with a 2 year warranty. :beer

the only thing i had to mention was a rear main seal if you are already in there... thats usually a great item to pick up when freshening up a motor.
Matt for sure will be putting on a new rear main seal. If something is that easy to get to right now. I would be stupid not to.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
I pick up a factory spec 302 long block. Comes with all new parts. The only thing that we are reusing from my original motor is the intake, and acc. (alternator, compressor, etc.) Everything else is NEW and comes with a 2 year warranty. :beer
... came with pan, pump, chain,flex plate???? link?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts