Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive just finished getting the 302 out of the bronco and dropped a 302 roller motor from a '84 mustang in it. Now im having trouble with the torque converter. I have an '81 bronco with the the stock tranny in it (not sure what the tranny is though C6/C4?) but the motor I took out of the Bronco has a "lip" type thing on the back of the crank where I took the torque converter and flywheel and flexplate off. The problem I have now is the mustang motor, which was set up for a manual tranny doesnt have that same "lip" on the back of the crank therefore the torque converter wont slide into that same hole it was in on the orignal motor. Does anyone know how to fix this? Can I get a torque converter from an '84 mustang?

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
81 302's are balanced different from 84's. Maybe that also means the back of the crank is different, IDK I would think just the balancer and flexplate would have a different imbalance. Find out if the crank is also different and if so then just get the flexplate from an 84 up Bronco for whatever trans you have.

Reading it again you said you can't get the torque converter on. Are you saying you got the flexplate on but not the TC or what. If the TC won't go on then the flexplate is the wrong one.

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
mustang and truck engines are different too

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RLKBOB said:
81 302's are balanced different from 84's. Maybe that also means the back of the crank is different, IDK I would think just the balancer and flexplate would have a different imbalance. Find out if the crank is also different and if so then just get the flexplate from an 84 up Bronco for whatever trans you have.

Reading it again you said you can't get the torque converter on. Are you saying you got the flexplate on but not the TC or what. If the TC won't go on then the flexplate is the wrong one.
Yeah ive got the flex plate on, I took everything (torque converter, flex plate, flywheel) off from the back of the Bronco motor. I then put the flex plate and flywheel on the Mustang motor. But the Torque converter doesnt seem like its going to work.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
A 302 is a 302. The main difference between a car and truck one is the cam. I'm thinking the crank is probably different. Since the engines have different imbalances the crank must be different. I could be wrong, better do some digging.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry I think I failed to mention this earlier, but would it make a difference if the Mustang motor was initially set up for a manual tranny? It had the pilot bearing in it but I got it out, but I wouldnt know if maybe the fact that it had a manual tranny hooked up to it before would make a difference or not :scratchhe

·
Registered
303 Posts
Sounds like there is still a piece of the pilot bearing in the crank... had this happen to me.... Does it look like the outer ring of the pilot bearing could still be there???

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,918 Posts
your 81 302 would have used a 28oz imbalance while the 84 would be 50oz. so your 81 flexplate will not work, you need to get a new flexplate for you 84 motor otherwise it will vibrate an cause issues

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
kemicalburns said:
your 81 302 would have used a 28oz imbalance while the 84 would be 50oz. so your 81 flexplate will not work, you need to get a new flexplate for you 84 motor otherwise it will vibrate an cause issues
Thanks for that info, that will save a future headache. :thumbup

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, the mustang motor is currently dropped down in the bronco, the reason I had to put it in is because the land lord was giving me hell about my bronco being in pieces in my driveway so I had to get it put back together or he was going to tow it off for me. Im going to have to lift the motor back out to get to the flexplate and to have enough room to work with the torque converter when it comes time, so Ill try to get pics when I get around to that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Still no pics, but I do think MrBob was right about some of the pilot bearing still being in the crank. After talking to a couple of mechanics and others who have done 302 swaps, ive come to the conclusion that I didnt get all of the bearing out :duh It seems that I became confused with the rest of the pilot bearing actually being a part of the crank. So hopefully I can get the rest of the bearing out and that will solve my problem other than needing a flex plate.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts