Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '94 351 E40D had a new issue this morning on the way to work. I drive mostly interstate and on the way in there is a 4-5 mile stretch of continuous uphill (2-4% grade) and she now has no issue maintaining 65mph @ 2200-2500RPM since I just recently replaced the plugs, wires, rotor arm, cap, and coil (the old plugs, rotor arm and cap were pretty cruddy and worn down). This morning i was cruising at 65 ish, changed lanes and gave a little more gas to pass a car and the rpms kicked up but halfway through passing they dropped about 100-200rpms (no change in foot placement and not enough for a shift) and it felt as if i lost all momentum. Tapped the gas a little more, rpms came right up and i completed my pass. So now I'm keeping an eye on my gauge and I notice that the needle is fluxing a couple hundred rpms all on its own ( this only happened once and for 10-20 seconds). I hear it more in the engine tone than in speed loss/gain.

I am dedicating this weekend to troubleshoot...will be reading out the TPS (replaced that 6 months ago), dropping the pan to check the oil and filter, and pulling codes. I have not had a check engine light or a flashing OD light. I know we all like more info here but I wanted some input/ideas for troubleshooting, I will update as I learn more.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,094 Posts
Sounds like your A/C compressor kicking on, which would be normal.

You running with the A/C or the Defrost on?

·
Registered
671 Posts
If you don't know the last time you replaced the fuel filter, I ask that you consider doing so. From you post it is clear you are driving and keeping fresh fuel, so it is possible your filter is closing up. I don't suggest adding a fuel additive because the stuff if breaks free will go into the filter and make matters worse. This did happen to me.

And, if you are having hwy performance issues, you might search here for the gear and tire chart. The suggestion is to check your gear ratio and tire size to see if you can improve hwy performance and I assume MPG by changing gears.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you don't know the last time you replaced the fuel filter, I ask that you consider doing so. From you post it is clear you are driving and keeping fresh fuel, so it is possible your filter is closing up. I don't suggest adding a fuel additive because the stuff if breaks free will go into the filter and make matters worse. This did happen to me.

And, if you are having hwy performance issues, you might search here for the gear and tire chart. The suggestion is to check your gear ratio and tire size to see if you can improve hwy performance and I assume MPG by changing gears.
While I don't feel that the fuel filter is a factor in this case, I haven't changed it for a while so I'll check it anyhow since it is easy.

These issues aren't related to my gear/tire combo, I'm running stock everything except 33x12.50s, which I've been running since I got the truck in 2009 (different set, same size). I feel there is an actual issue with the transmission itself or something electrically related to transmission operation/control.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,196 Posts
try pulling codes..

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,094 Posts
Have you programmed your PSOM for your 33 inch tires??

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55005

While I don't think this would cause the issue you're having, but it will help with the shifting at the right moments and lessen the chance of the transmission to hunt for gears on hills.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts