Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 86 Bronco with the 302, auto trans.
The problem I'm having is when I come to a stop. When I brake, the engine almost dies, the trans shifts out of gear to keep the engine from dieing, then back into gear as if all is normal.
Has anyone every heard of this? I tried searching the forum but came up empty.

blue skies,
Brandon

·
Forward Some Money
5,050 Posts
I have an 86 Bronco with the 302, auto trans.
The problem I'm having is when I come to a stop. When I brake, the engine almost dies, the trans shifts out of gear to keep the engine from dieing, then back into gear as if all is normal.
Has anyone every heard of this? I tried searching the forum but came up empty.

blue skies,
Brandon
If carbed, sounds like float level

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
An 86 302 should be an EFI engine, with a C6 transmission.

I don't think it's shifting out of gear, but I'd bet you probably have a problem with your IAC. Have you pulled codes yet?

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
An 86 302 should be an EFI engine, with a C6 transmission.

I don't think it's shifting out of gear, but I'd bet you probably have a problem with your IAC. Have you pulled codes yet?
Should be 302 EFI and AOD unless somebody changed something. I don't have any solutions for you as I haven't had this problem but that's the combination in case it points anybody in the right direction.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Should be 302 EFI and AOD unless somebody changed something. I don't have any solutions for you as I haven't had this problem but that's the combination in case it points anybody in the right direction.
May be... for some reason I thought the earlier EFI trucks all came with C6s... I think you're right now that I'm thinking about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts