Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. Well, i got my cold start issue fixed. That was just the connector under the distributor gone bad. That's cool. :thumbup But then the truck starts missing real bad between 1000 to 1500 RPM (don't know if this is relevent). On Friday i drove the truck to my parents house (pulling a trailer). The truck broke down on me halfway there. :duh It was struggling to go down I295. All of a sudden, the truck starts blowing some serious white smoke real bad out the exhaust. So i got off and pull into a gas station. oil starts pooling under the engine. Pop the hood and it's also pooling under the air filter on top of the fender well. I check the water after the truck cooled. It's fine. So i start it again and it starts right up. No smoke. Drove it down the street some and it started smoking really bad again. Pulled into another gas station and it just pooled oil again. What the heck is wrong with my truck? I could use any help possible here. Possible problems? I don't even know where to start with this. Compression test? Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Josh

Oh, and it's an '87 with 302 EFI.
Thanks

·
Registered
273 Posts
PTownBronco said:
All of a sudden, the truck starts blowing some serious white smoke real bad out the exhaust.
White smoke means water is making its way into the cumbustion chamber. (blue smoke = oil and black smoke = excess fuel) Could have a cracked head, cracked block or a broken head gasket. Sounds to me like whatever is cracked, is expanding the crack when it warms up. I am by no means an engine guru but it sounds serious to me.
:popc1:

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
I think you blew a head gasket myself. where exactly is the oil coming from do you know. can you give us a clue on that?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The oil pooling on the ground pooled under the rear main seal area. Whether it came from there or not, i can't tell yet as i haven't had a chance to look at it yet.
Oil also pooled under the air filter box and ran down the fender well cover.
It also appeared around the exhaust manifold on the driver side.
So what do i do next? :shrug Thanks so far.
Josh

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bama Patriot.... that's not what i wanted to hear. In a way, i did, because i'd love to rebuild the thing, just not now! I'm just gonna do the compression test and see how bad that looks.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
OK after i reread your post. i noticed you didnt say anything about refilling the oil? Did you? if not you know what your problem is. Like i said i think you blew a head gasket and didnt address the issue when it happened and made it worse. Is the truck making any noises at all? There are alot of variables in this problem. You say it is pooling under the rear main area that means it is either a blown rear main seal to leak that much you got some serious problem. if you got that much blow by to make it drip down your inside fenders outside you air box. it is definately time for a rebuild.

ken

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
You might have a blown head gasket, but I would concentrate on this oil problem first and see what happens. With it pooling like that in the locations you mentioned, I would suspect your engine is not breathing propperly. Start with your PCV valve, I know with mine I bought three faulty ones before I finally pulled one off an old motor I had laying around, All the ones I bought plus the one on my engine equalled 4 faulty PCV valves, they all rattled accept for the one on the old motor...go figure, huh? :doh0715:

I"M JUST KIDDING :histerica :histerica :histerica It should rattle. :histerica

When your motor isn't breathing propperly, it will create a lot of back pressure and oil will start getting forced out the motor just like you described.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts