Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
umm so i put a new engine in my bronco, the block is from a 89' mercury car, 5.0 HO, i used every part from my old engine because it was blown. everything is hooked up right and the plugs are firing, but all its doing is turning over and not starting. plugs are in the right order and the distributor was reset like you supposed to but still nothing. what am i doing wrong??

·
Registered
149 Posts
Sounds like a fuel delivery problem. Make sure you have fuel pressure and that your injectors are firing. you can hook up a little light bulb on a jumper wire to one of your injector connectors and it should flash when the engine is cranking.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i sprayed starter fluid in it, so it should of fired but it didnt, and the injectors are working

·
Registered
55 Posts
check your valves souds like they may be tightend down to much keeping them open. which will cause a loss of compression if you have a haynes manual it is this procedure is on pg 2d-29 i dont have time to type out the whole process

·
Registered
331 Posts
and you do know that the 5.0l HO has a different firing order than the 302 that came in our bronco?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
and you do know that the 5.0l HO has a different firing order than the 302 that came in our bronco?
i thought that if i had all the the parts from my old engine that wouldnt matter.

·
Registered
331 Posts
ahhh my bad, you used just the block... I thought you did a swap... I obviously should be sleeping right meow....

289 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8
302 (Pre-82) 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8
5.0 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8
5.0 HO 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8
5.0 Truck 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8
351 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8
Cylinder numbering

The table below covers the positions and numbering for all cylinders on a windsor motor. Generally, it can be summarised as follows: When looking into the engine bay the number one cylinder should be on your left hand side (left bank) at the front of the engine. The number eight cylinder is on the rear right (right bank) up against the firewall.
Firewall
4 8
3 7
2 6
1 5
Front bumper

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
What ECM did you use

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
okay update, i got it to start but there was a god awful noise that happened, it sounded horrible and its so loud i have no idea where its coming from

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
okay the starter was not retracting is teeth, its now running and i couldnt be happier, oh and crash turns out it has the same firing order

·
Registered
331 Posts
oh and crash turns out it has the same firing order
it should you used all the parts from your original motor, and just the HO block, which is prolly just a plain jane 302... had you used a complete HO engine your camshaft and firing order would be different... it was late last night and I thought you had transplanted the whole enchilada in there...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hey i have another problem now it seems my tranny is stuck in neutral

·
Registered
331 Posts
thats about as vague as me saying I am having trouble breathing... need more information... will shift lever move? have you verified all your linkage is together? can you manually move the lever on the tranny itself? the more info you can provide us, the better we can help narrow it down... and everybody loves pics... so some of the linkage to your tranny might help someone if thats your problem...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well the lever can be moved, earlier i had it in reverse,and it backed up and then i put it drive and it pulled forward, but now its not doing anything but rolling down my driveway, i can put it in park but thats it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts