Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, i have a 1993 Bronco and its time to do something with engine (it has 260k miles) Could you guys tell me which options i have? i want to rebuilt an engine and add some additional horse powers to it if it possible, im pretty new to this kind of job, but its really interesting for me. So what can i do? change heads \ camshaft or what usually ppl do in that case? Thank you !

Automotive side marker light Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle

·
Registered
945 Posts
What's your budget? You're looking at an easy $6000 for heads, cam, and machine work from a high end place. I'm going with a higher end shop and it's going to cost 8500 plus 400 for the spare block.

As far as tuning goes, I would recommend spending the money and getting a Holley terminator x. I'm about to. That way it can be tuned by more modern people. I ran into the issue of a possible crappy tune on my truck and only one person in the area could even do it.

·
Registered
1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 bone stock
790 Posts
Be careful, you can go down a deep and expensive rabbit hole really quick. First you need to be honest with what you plan on doing with your bronco, is it a grocery getter daily driver? Does it ever go off roading (mud, rocks, dunes if so which ones because they can all have different needs). Or do you just do like most of us and drive it some of the time around town. Do you do a lot of slow city driving? Just looking for something with a little more pep or something that is going to smoke the wheels whenever you get down on it? How able are you to do any of this yourself...you said pretty new to this so i am going to assume not very able, unless you have a friend with a very well equipped shop.

A point burntoutaccountant made was tuning, you have what's called a speed density fuel injection and they are very picky about mods / upgrades so theres not a lot you can really do without having to do a tune. As mentioned also, some opt to go with an aftermarket fuel injection system which is fine, i have thought about it myself but there are solutions to allow you to retain your factory EFI and run as much HP that you can stick in it, option 1 is a MAF swap im not going into the details, you can google that. Option 2 is a custom ECM from a company like PimpXS, you tell them the specs of your engine and they build you a new computer that is tunable and they can even log in and help you tune it and it gives you flexibility for future mods, just get ready to spend around 1000 bucks for either of those options.

Without addressing the Speed density issue, the best you can hope for is maybe 20-30 more HP with exhaust, head work, cam, injectors etc, which will be noticable but still getting passed by base model engine powered vehicles today. Once you address the above mentioned issue, the sky is the limit and it can get expensive and the more power you want, the more expensive it gets because its a domino effect, you can run into cooling issues, transmission issues, running gear issues...but if you keep your HP below 400 (just an estimate) i don't think you'd need to worry about those things.

Learn from those on here, everyone has their own opinions and experiences that formed those opinions and prepare to do a lot of "while you're at it" jobs when you do pull an engine like motor mounts, front suspension rebuild (if needed) new exhaust, etc.

It's whatever your budget will allow, lots of DIY'ers on here that can get by reasonable, like i know i could build a 350 HP engine for my bronco for under 3000 dollars because id do all the work myself aside from the machining, but if you don't have the knowledge or the tools, or the workspace, its best to just buy a turn key crate engine and install it in your driveway...then you would need to figure out the ECM issue and if you work with someone like PimpXS they can help you or just go with a new EFI like Holley. (I have zero experience with either)

Just for the heck of it, Summit Racing has a 300hp 377ftlb torque 5.8 liter crate engine for 3,400 bucks, and thats not bad. It's not fire breathing but its a substantial bump in power that you would definitely notice and you MAY could get away with using your factory EFI in this case, but it depends on the lobe separation of their camshaft which im sure you could find out. Another option would be go to a local machine shop tell them what you want and they can rebuild what you have and see what they can do for you, i bet they can build you a similar engine for less using your core.

Speed costs money, how fast you wanna go?

·
Super Moderator
28,815 Posts
Yo Timafen,
Welcome!
Remember our Big Broncos require torque, especially in 0-60 sprints.
See EFI Performance Upgrades by member and Ford Bronco, etc by or EFI GURU absent member Fireguy50 (Ryan M) @ Ford Fuel Injection » EFI Performance Upgrades

And Ryan's How to Pick a Camshaft for EFI (BRONCOS)" @ How to pick a CAMSHAFT for EFI

Also consider:
MAF Swap in an 89 F 150 by Booba5185 @ MAF swap sensor
He wrote, "
I found the following cars used this MAF, while also using 19 pound injectors:

1995-94 Mustang 3.8L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Crown Victoria 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1995-94 Mustang, Mustang Cobra 5.0L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Town Car 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Grand Marquis 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A

Mustang guys upgrade to these MAF housings because they are 70mm (stock Mustangs are 55mm), just like the truck's MAF housing. The specific MAF I ended up with was off of a 1994 Grand Marquis 4.6L, and it bolted directly onto the truck's airbox. Honestly, I think I could have dropped the new MAF into the truck's housing and called it good, but I just wanted to be sure. I wanted to update the thread for anyone who has these questions in the future."

MAF Upgrade in a 90 by Seattle FSB @ MAF Upgrade - Lessons Learned Thread

COLD air intake - insulate air intake from grille entry area to throttle body.
Air Tube & Box Insulation pics in a 94 5.0; Ken used Reflectix Insulation, avail @ Lowes. etc. ST16025 - 16" x 25 feet. miesk5 Note; Ken installed the K&N® & removed the cold air intake tube that runs to the top of the radiator; but he could have installed the intake tube section later.
One pic for example;

Source: by Ken B (Kenny's 94) @ 1994 Ford Bronco insulating air box and intake tube pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

Some use a 4.9 EFI engine's air intake inlet

Try Sixlitre Tune-Up @ ignition upgrade and timing bump (no 56K)

See Project M.P.G. in a Centurion 460; miesk5 Note, Results are Comparable to Tests in other Ford Engines
Source: by performanceunlimited.com
Some use this information while others write that the results are not achievable.
⊙●⊙
●□●
Find out if speed control, if equipped, recall work completed.
If you still have concerns about Recalls, please contact the Customer Relationship Center:
US: 800-392-3673 | CA: 800-565-3673
Note: 3673 spells "FORD" on phone keys
For the hearing- or speech-impaired: Please contact the Telecommunication Relay Service by dialing 711.
... have VIN ready.
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."
See this guide by jowens1126 to confirm recall status @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different than 94-96.

For any Bronco questions or to chat about desired modifications or build, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (50 posts required to participate due to scammers who preyed on our members ).

Here is the 1993 Bronco Dealer Brochure in Google Drive @ 93Bronco.pdf

1993 Bronco Dealer Training Video via silver70 @

1993 Bronco, Venezuela Commercial @

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf via BroncMom

See How to add your Signature @ Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum by BigBlue 94

Our Forum FAQs includes for example; How To Upload Images To Posts, How to Use Search and more tips!

Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links)including, "how do I get the tailgate glass to...", etc

Try to find time to participate and vote in our current Full-Size of the Month Contest & later in the year, Full-Size of the Year Contest @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing.
Prizes are awarded to Winner; a full spread in Bronco Driver Magazine is the top prize, in addition to a years subscription, once the article is submitted; and a years worth of premium FSB membership!
Al

Reactions: Timafen

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yo Timafen,
Welcome!
Remember our Big Broncos require torque, especially in 0-60 sprints.
See EFI Performance Upgrades by member and Ford Bronco, etc by or EFI GURU absent member Fireguy50 (Ryan M) @ Ford Fuel Injection » EFI Performance Upgrades

And Ryan's How to Pick a Camshaft for EFI (BRONCOS)" @ How to pick a CAMSHAFT for EFI

Also consider:
MAF Swap in an 89 F 150 by Booba5185 @ MAF swap sensor
He wrote, "
I found the following cars used this MAF, while also using 19 pound injectors:

1995-94 Mustang 3.8L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Crown Victoria 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1995-94 Mustang, Mustang Cobra 5.0L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Town Car 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Grand Marquis 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A

Mustang guys upgrade to these MAF housings because they are 70mm (stock Mustangs are 55mm), just like the truck's MAF housing. The specific MAF I ended up with was off of a 1994 Grand Marquis 4.6L, and it bolted directly onto the truck's airbox. Honestly, I think I could have dropped the new MAF into the truck's housing and called it good, but I just wanted to be sure. I wanted to update the thread for anyone who has these questions in the future."

MAF Upgrade in a 90 by Seattle FSB @ MAF Upgrade - Lessons Learned Thread

COLD air intake - insulate air intake from grille entry area to throttle body.
Air Tube & Box Insulation pics in a 94 5.0; Ken used Reflectix Insulation, avail @ Lowes. etc. ST16025 - 16" x 25 feet. miesk5 Note; Ken installed the K&N® & removed the cold air intake tube that runs to the top of the radiator; but he could have installed the intake tube section later.
One pic for example;

Source: by Ken B (Kenny's 94) @ 1994 Ford Bronco insulating air box and intake tube pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

Some use a 4.9 EFI engine's air intake inlet

Try Sixlitre Tune-Up @ ignition upgrade and timing bump (no 56K)

See Project M.P.G. in a Centurion 460; miesk5 Note, Results are Comparable to Tests in other Ford Engines
Source: by performanceunlimited.com
Some use this information while others write that the results are not achievable.
⊙●⊙
●□●
Find out if speed control, if equipped, recall work completed.
If you still have concerns about Recalls, please contact the Customer Relationship Center:
US: 800-392-3673 | CA: 800-565-3673
Note: 3673 spells "FORD" on phone keys
For the hearing- or speech-impaired: Please contact the Telecommunication Relay Service by dialing 711.
... have VIN ready.
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."
See this guide by jowens1126 to confirm recall status @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different than 94-96.

For any Bronco questions or to chat about desired modifications or build, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (50 posts required to participate due to scammers who preyed on our members ).

Here is the 1993 Bronco Dealer Brochure in Google Drive @ 93Bronco.pdf

1993 Bronco Dealer Training Video via silver70 @

1993 Bronco, Venezuela Commercial @

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf via BroncMom

See How to add your Signature @ Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum by BigBlue 94

Our Forum FAQs includes for example; How To Upload Images To Posts, How to Use Search and more tips!

Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links)including, "how do I get the tailgate glass to...", etc

Try to find time to participate and vote in our current Full-Size of the Month Contest & later in the year, Full-Size of the Year Contest @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing.
Prizes are awarded to Winner; a full spread in Bronco Driver Magazine is the top prize, in addition to a years subscription, once the article is submitted; and a years worth of premium FSB membership!
Al
Thank you very much for such a detailed answer!

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer 5.0EFI AOD Full length headers Y pipe into single 3" Magnaflow 3" factory exit
941 Posts
I look at the reality of a big heavy SUV, and wanting it faster, as simple physics, & what is not changing (and is fighting you the whole time) is the big heavy SUV part.

So of you take a when new (1994 351) 0-60 of 11.4 secods, then spend $10,000 on heads, cam, stroker kit, trans upgrades, efi changes, tuning, ect.... which is all really cool & I love every bit of that stuff, your 0-60 time will improve some, but it will still be a big heavy SUV that's still slow compared to any new car, but with the built motor, all you really get is a big heavy SUV that's still annoyingly slow, but is now much worse on fuel. Which is why a full engine swap to a modern drivetrain makes better sense to me for the increased fuel ecomomy.

No doubt your motor will need a rebuild in time, not nessescarily right now, but in the meantime, doing improvements like headers, and a full exhaust system to make you feel like your big heavy SUV is faster because it sounds better, and you won't be out all that money.

If you want a fast car, buy a fast car, because turning your truck into a fast truck just is not worth the time/money involved, which is why I enjoy my bronco with a new crate engine & good sounding exhaust for what it is, a big heavy old school SUV that's cool, but doesn't have the performance of a new car.

If some of the members who have built their motors could get a 0-60 even of just by stopwatch, I'd be interested to see what those times are.

Font Circle Number Document Rectangle

Font Material property Screenshot Parallel Number

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I look at the reality of a big heavy SUV, and wanting it faster, as simple physics, & what is not changing (and is fighting you the whole time) is the big heavy SUV part.

So of you take a when new (1994 351) 0-60 of 11.4 secods, then spend $10,000 on heads, cam, stroker kit, trans upgrades, efi changes, tuning, ect.... which is all really cool & I love every bit of that stuff, your 0-60 time will improve some, but it will still be a big heavy SUV that's still slow compared to any new car, but with the built motor, all you really get is a big heavy SUV that's still annoyingly slow, but is now much worse on fuel. Which is why a full engine swap to a modern drivetrain makes better sense to me for the increased fuel ecomomy.

No doubt your motor will need a rebuild in time, not nessescarily right now, but in the meantime, doing improvements like headers, and a full exhaust system to make you feel like your big heavy SUV is faster because it sounds better, and you won't be out all that money.

If you want a fast car, buy a fast car, because turning your truck into a fast truck just is not worth the time/money involved, which is why I enjoy my bronco with a new crate engine & good sounding exhaust for what it is, a big heavy old school SUV that's cool, but doesn't have the performance of a new car.

If some of the members who have built their motors could get a 0-60 even of just by stopwatch, I'd be interested to see what those times are.

View attachment 184718

View attachment 184719
Thank you, is makes sense for sure. And i am thinking about swap as one of possibilities. and also a im looking mostly not the speed, but power, because i use my bronco for towing a trailer with my other (fast) car and it feels pretty weak.
Also i do all this staff with bronco because of curiosity, i really like to work with cars and i want to try to rebuild or do something major with an engine. may be i will just get one 351 from local junkyard and restore it.

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer 5.0EFI AOD Full length headers Y pipe into single 3" Magnaflow 3" factory exit
941 Posts
From a quick internet search, the tow rating for a 93 5.8 Bronco was 7100lbs, but the short wheelbase of the Bronco is more the problem with towing, when comparing how it tows things to the longer wheelbase of a pickup. More power will help of course, but I'm afraid you are trying to make the Bronco something it was never meant to be.

I remember towing with my 1991 2 door Wrangler, it did it, but not well. Then my 1996 Bronco, it was a better towing rig than the Wrangler, but I got a 1998 Suburban after that, & it did a much better job, all wheelbase length related.

Such as post, currently going that had an owner not wanting to hear how broncos just are not the greatest tow vehicles.
I need some more power

1 - 9 of 9 Posts