Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so long story short I just bought an 84 bronco with a 351w in it, and when I looked at it I had dumped some gas into the carb and hot wired it to start at the starter relay and fired up and ran for about 10 seconds till the gas burned off. Now that i have it back at my place it wont fire it just sits there and cranks, I replaced the relay cause the other one was bad. Should i take the carb off and rebiuld it?

My goal is to simply get it running I dont really care about the rest of the electronics such as the windows, ac, and radio because this is going to be a mud truck. One last thing is, i didnt know until after I had bought it that it has somewhat of a basic computer, is it possible to bypass the computer so that there are essentially no electronics and have a mechanical carb on the motor?
Any input you guys can give me would be great, thanks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
start with the basic tests before you throw parts at it. pull a spark plug and check for spark. if you have spark check for fuel. you could have a bad pump or possibly a clog, if your pump is running, blow out the lines and pull gas from a clean source. if your not getting spark you'll have to go through the wiring working your way back through the entire ignition, check all fuses and connections. if you dont have a Haynes manual get one or a Chilton's it will help a lot. has all the info you need on testing the different components in the ignition system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is fuel and spark, the pump works. Just took the carb off and it needs a good cleaning but it should have ran in my mind becuase it had fired up a couple of days ago. I also pulled out the computer its an EEC IV, anyone know how reliable they were, and I was wondering if its possible just to leave it out and convert to a full mechanical carb?

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
My 86 is an EFI-EEC-IV, electronic fuel injection with electronic engine control with power control module = computer, 4th generation and a TFI module on the distributor = thick film integrated.....electronic

Once you get the hang of it they're are very effiicient and you can "pull fault codes" from the PCM several different ways and find out whats going electronically or internally with the engine and emisions system, much quicker diagnosis......most of this is on www.fordfuelinjection.com...for How to....

I wouldn't trade an electronicaly managed fuel sytem for anything, I have 2 fuel filters with one as a "reservoir" under the skid plate that keeps the elec. fuel pumps from starving at cornering or steep Off Road angles and their easy enough to work on.

I've had carbs in the past but IMO they're a PITA to work on, they leak, are more susceptible to "crud" in the fuel today and not as accurate as FI....but what ever makes you happy though.....lol lol

www.fordfuelinjection.com or www.broncolinks.com for help.......

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so i've pretty much decided to completly bypass all the stock computer and ignition stuff. pretty sure ill just go with an msd ignition module because there are too many cut wires under the hood and im not sure if the stock EEC ignition box is still good. Does anyone know how to identify the magnetic pick up wires that come out the distributor? i thought they were something like orange and violet but didnt see anything like that in the stock harness. So if anyone knows how to test for the positive and negetive pickups, or what other color they might be i would appreciate it, thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts