Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here's what the bronco's doing and what I've done. Wife was driving it and it died. Got it towed back home and she tried to start it back up. Starter cranked over but the engine didn't fire. I was out at sea when this happened. The ground wire ended up melting so she replaced that. I got back and went to work on it. I tried to get it to start but I wouldn't even crank the starter over. Turning the key wouldn't turn the starter over(not even a click) but if I jumpered across the starter relay with the key in the run position the starter would crank but the engine wouldn't fire. None of the acessories i.e. headlights, radio, rear window, door locks, door windows will work but the hazards do. I replaced the starter relay and ignition switch and still got nothing. If anyone has an idea I'll try it. Thanks.

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,983 Posts
I thought I just replied to this?????? must be nuts--Fog

Edit---I'm not nuts it's in here twice?????(well maybe a little but hay....)Fog

·
Registered
35 Posts
Bronco58 said:
I was out at sea when this happened.
Navy? Just wondering. I am Navy and in San Diego, had some similar problems with my '85, took a while to figure out but I learned a lot doing it. Would like to help if you are in the area, if not we can try over the computer.

One of the problems I had you might want to check: the insulation on the wires in the harness just started falling apart from age. Caused some nasty shorts. More than anything you need to find where you have voltage and not. May have to start disconnecting things to find what is killing everything else.

Good luck and keep us posted. Let me know if you are in the area.

·
Registered
35 Posts
:banghead Right after I posted the above I had another thought. You may have blown a fusible link (or more than one). Looking at the wiring diagrams it makes sense.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm stationed in Kings Bay, GA so I'm about as far from you as I can be. Thanks for the offer though. Hopefully I'll get some time to work on the rig this weekend.

·
0 Posts
What year bronco? IF you turn the key to "on" do you have interior lights, headlights, radio, etc?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The bronco is an 84. The door ajar/seatbelt buzzer works off and on also. With the key in the on position nothing works except for my hazards.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's alive once more! I found where a previous owner had (I think) burned up a fusible link and just wired in a splice to finish the circuit. Only problem with that was the original wire was 12 gauge and the splice was 16 gauge. For some odd reason the splice decided to melt itself. Well fixed the problem and now she runs great. Found the splice while looking for shorts/loose connections. Thanks for the all the help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts