Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My issue is that when turn the engine to start the starter seems like it isnt powerful enough to turn the engine over. It will make about to half ass rotations then stop. Ive already changed the starter all the grounding cables and the cable going from the solenoid to the starter and nothing seemed to help. It almost seems like my engine is seized or something.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Do a voltage drop to your battery

My issue is that when turn the engine to start the starter seems like it isnt powerful enough to turn the engine over. It will make about to half ass rotations then stop. Ive already changed the starter all the grounding cables and the cable going from the solenoid to the starter and nothing seemed to help. It almost seems like my engine is seized or something.
Grab your meter and put the positive lead on the positive post, put the negative lead on the negative post and have someone turn the key to crank the engine over, battery should not drop below 9.6 volts.

If it does you need a new battery, if it doesn't you need to find the weak link in the starter circuit, ie... the solenoid or the positive cable from the battery to the solenoid or the negative battery cable(where is your negative battery cable attached?)

You can test all your voltage drops by leaving the negative meter probe hooked to the negative battery terminal then move the positive meter probe to each starter circuit, so after testing the battery you would then move the positive meter probe to the hot side or closest power terminal on the solenoid then get a friend to crank the engine if you get voltage drop the problem will be the short battery cable hooked to the solenoid if not move the positive meter probe to the other side of the solenoid and have a friend crank the engine over if you get a voltage drop the problem is the solenoid if no drop then move the positive meter probe to the terminal on the starter and once again have a friend crank the engine over if you get a voltage drop the problem is the cable from the solenoid to the starter.

I hope I explained it clear enough.

GL and let us know what you find, please remember all tests have to be completed with a fully charged battery.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
umm, if the timing is advanced too far you will have issues with the engine turning over.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The battery is brand new, so I dont think it is that but I will check it tomorrow. I did replace the cap and rotor right before I had this problem so is there a possibility I didn't put it back together properly and that is what is causing this problem?

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
you just answered your own question. it was fine before and now you tossed all those new parts at it for nothing. fix your timing and firing order and it will fire up.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
One more thing you can try. Remove all the spark plugs. Spin it over. Just to make sure the damn thing isn't hydro-locked. Will also be a good indication of starter/battery condition.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts