Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it looks like Mudtoberfest claimed more than one Bronco engine. :mad: Mines locked up too! Not sure but I think it's a bent rod also. :banghead (Damn water) I didn't figure there was any since in doing an engine autopsy when it's gotta be rebuilt or replaced anyway....:shrug Now the question is: What to do? My ideas are: 1. Reman 5.0 stock with 36/36 warrenty (Like I did with the beast a while back) 2. Ford motor sport built 5.0 roller moter. 3. Swap in a stock to mild 5.8 reman (maybe same 36/36 warrenty, not sure) 4. and lastly just kicking this around cause I don't know whats involved and need your input badly if I go this route (espesialy Ryan's input on the electronics of it) 460 swap from f350. What do you guys think? I know I'll get the "I'm not putting any cash, sweet, blood in to this so I'm gonna scream do the 460 swap posts" but I'll weed through though to get to the inteligent answers, and decide whats actualy feesable. Thanks ahead of time for ya'lls help...:beer

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
Well wiring a 460 is not hard, you can use the old harness with a 460 computer. the harness that lays over the intake might need to be "adjusted" to fit the 460 intake.

But if you put in a 460, you now have trany swap, and drivline strength issues.
If you really want a 460 look for a rolled or crased F350 so you can take out the entire drive train for the best outcome

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
cummins 4bt diesel gets my vote, behind that an nv4500 then an atlas II, and then down to mog axles with some 44 inch cut boggers, does that help you any?

wes

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wes 03 said:
cummins 4bt diesel gets my vote, behind that an nv4500 then an atlas II, and then down to mog axles with some 44 inch cut boggers, does that help you any?

wes
Sure you got one laying around your not using???:duh Next?

Fireguy50 said:
Well wiring a 460 is not hard, you can use the old harness with a 460 computer. the harness that lays over the intake might need to be "adjusted" to fit the 460 intake.

But if you put in a 460, you now have trany swap, and drivline strength issues.
If you really want a 460 look for a rolled or crased F350 so you can take out the entire drive train for the best outcome
Well, Ryan...I had allready planned on trying to find a F350 for my SAS swap and was thinking exactly what you said...just find a totaled 350 and swap it all....:thumbup

·
Only the Bronco
978 Posts
if you don't want to go to the expence of changing your drivetrain for the 7.5l then at least look at a 5.8l, it'd give you that extra bit of lower down torque that you are missing, just ask Crazed (Tim) he'll tell what you are missing, i Mean there will be a few mods, but not as much as the 7.5 swap

"if" you wanted to do the 7.5 swap, I think that'd be really cool, there is not too many newer Broncs with a BBF 460 under the hood, not to mention EFI, and contrary to waht they say, you can modify them for more power

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm really not looking to rebuild simply because I don't have the time (too many projects at once) so I'd have to pay to have it rebuilt and I could prolly get one allready built from motersports for the same kinda cash.....:shrug

Also just for everybody elses benefit...I'm not building a street/strip mustang here...this is gonna be my trail toy. I'd like something stought (sp) but it doesn't have to be a "fire breather"!:toothless

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
shane, if you are willing to undergo a compleat transformation, then go with the 460. probably gonna cost a bit more, but it would be badass. if thats a little to much work, then build a 351 with out a doubt. you could get tons of power outta a good 351. and still use your same tranny. you would also be on the road a lot quicker. so you could use the truck with the stock drive train, till you find the suspention parts you want. i say build one yourself. cheaper, and since you have another ride, if it takes ya a couple of weeks its no big deal. you could build something simmilar to what crazed has built. i think you would be really happy with that. lots of power, and still very reliable.

btw, what you doing with that junk 302?:toothless

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, If I go with the reman they'll want it for the "core charge" (you know the drill). If I go with a reman and you'r willing to pay the core charge it's yours if I go with the 460 swap and can find a donor truck, I'm sure we can work something out...;)

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Crazed said:
I dont know about the 460...if I had a complete donor then yes. But my 351 did go in pretty easy.

(you can find a couple pics of the swap on my superford page)
Yea I been following the build up, I just didn't post cause it was already long as hell and you needed to be building not reading!!:toothless
But since it's in...nice job, and good pictorial!:beer That is one saweet motor..I don't have that kinda luck...if I buy a motoer that cheap I'll tear into it to find a crack somewhere...:banghead
Anyway good job! Mines a comin'!

davids78bronco said:
You probably don't want to spend 7K for this donor then, do ya? http://www.snort4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4196

Keep an eye out fo Gov't and insurance salvage auctions
Nahh thats a little steep for parts...although I've allready started looking in the paper tonight, and salvage yards tommorow!

davids78bronco said:
I'm outa here, gotta go buy more cutting wheels :goodfinge
To finish up my order???
:toothless

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
how are the prices on short and long blocks from ford motorsports? dont they have some performance motors with warrentys? if they are to steep in price, check out some on the machine shops in your area. they guys who did the machine work for me, said they would build it and warrenty it. they had good prices too, but i was a tight wad.

·
FSB warrior
6,118 Posts
wes 03 said:
cummins 4bt diesel gets my vote,
Captain is that you??? If so... see ya at work tommorow!!

Sorry that was so random I figured it had to be him saying cummins anything on a Bronco site

Umm Gt-40P long block?? $1995

1 - 20 of 62 Posts