Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved to iowa, from new hampshire, and my bronco ran fine out here, filled up about four times with ethanol 89.5 octane, and now it will start and run fine till it idles down to normal operating temp, then run funny for about 5 minutes, will stall and stumble, but once finally warm, will run ok, it is a 351 94 bronco with e40d, have done tuneup cleaned throttle body, just wondering if everybody out in the midwest runs ethanol, it is 5 cents cheaper and more octane, strange

·
Registered
104 Posts
Was this E85 fuel (85% ethanol/ 15% gasoline) or was it the gasoline that has been supplemented with about 10% ethanol?? The E85 should only be run in engines that were designed for it and I'm almost positive that most Broncos can't run E85. This type of flex fuel engine has only been around for the last 5-6 yrs.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
was the gas hose black(reguler unleaded good up to 15%) or was it blue (E85)
black cant handle the achole gas
i run the E85 in my s10

and even sometimes in my bronco to clean off the valves

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for your help gas line is black, and just says ethanol, so i beleive it to be e85, but it is 89.5 octane, all new to me only been here a month, and the truck ran fine till now, and i am a mechanic, so i will put regular gas in it and let u know what happens,

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
E85 cant be 89.5...its 110 or somthing like that. i would say 15% ethnol 85% gas. is it labeled has super unleaded? if so its 15% ethnol.

yes the midwest pumps can be "F" d sometimes :toothless

my s10 gets 18 on e85 and 18 on pump gas
bronco gets 10-12 on e85 and 14-16 on pump

·
Registered
113 Posts
ya..i dont care if it burns cleaner....if it gets worse milage it burns my wallet..idk what my bronco gets, just run regular in it, dont drive it enough to know the gas milage..but i know it aint to horrbile from the times ive drove it on my 50 mile daily trip.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah its not e85

it must just be 15% ethanol, i seen true e85 for about 70 cents less a gallon, but i will stick to regular gas

·
In Front of Jopes
3,581 Posts
I have a braided hose from the gas tank, and right by the gas tank, its a steel line,does this mean I can use ethanol?

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,033 Posts
Someone on here had a thread on the 85% ethanol...vehicles must be specifically set up to run that. I believe you are not supposed to put it in a vehicle not equipped for it. Many states do regularly add a certain small percentage of ethanol (less than 10% IIRC) to normal gas for our vehicles. Ethanol is known to have higher octane and also reputedly leads to SLIGHTLY decreased mileage (guess which companies have brought this info. out?). No factual studies on this at this point I have found. Ethano is coming for sure. If you don't embrace making it work in various forms, just keep bending over to those arab states....let's see, today was $71 a barrel. kiss your $3 a gallon goodbye with this price. Ethanol is produced from corn waste here in the US. and US companies (including Bill Gates, who bought a 27% stake in Pacific Ethanol) are benefiting from it. The goverment is mandating increased usage. Get used to it. It will likely help us all in the long run.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just moved to iowa, from new hampshire, and my bronco ran fine out here, filled up about four times with ethanol 89.5 octane, and now it will start and run fine till it idles down to normal operating temp, then run funny for about 5 minutes, will stall and stumble, but once finally warm, will run ok, it is a 351 94 bronco with e40d, have done tuneup cleaned throttle body, just wondering if everybody out in the midwest runs ethanol, it is 5 cents cheaper and more octane, strange
I have a 1992 Bronco that has had emissions problem for quite a while but it straightens right out after you start driving however yesterday I put 10% ethanol in it drove it for half of the day and this evening the engine light came on I'm wondering if it's from the ethanol gas I normally do not use it.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,849 Posts
Ive run E85 in a factory 351. Got worse milage and had less power.

I run 87 octane E10 in everything without an issue. Most 91 octanes around here are ethanol free.

I agree, pull codes and see what pops up.

Reactions: Weber
1 - 16 of 16 Posts