Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
but found a 44 for a good deal, would you get it?
i really have no place for it, and my bronco is my DD and will be for a while, and i can't afford to have any downtime on the bronco at least until i fix the bike
but it's a good deal:banghead
and the gears match what i have stock
but i could fix the bike for the same price:banghead

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
if it's right for you, then get it. If not, then don't. Prioritize. More deals will come later down the road.
i'd rather do a mild SAS off the bat than attempt to rehab and lift my TTB
but it'd be summer by the time i got to do any work on it

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
i'd rather do a mild SAS off the bat than attempt to rehab and lift my TTB
but it'd be summer by the time i got to do any work on it
What do you think you'll gain by doing a SAS? What do you consider a cheap/good deal on a D44?

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What do you think you'll gain by doing a SAS? What do you consider a cheap/good deal on a D44?
fewer moving parts and lift (i want to lift anyway)
$150
i figure worst case scenario i sit on it for several years, before deciding it's not for me

·
Erik
1,847 Posts
i can do everything but weld, i've seen minimal welding in many of the coil 44 swaps
Honestly, I've never welded and I'm gonna do my sas soon. I just have some friends that will help me out with the welding. If you can find someone to weld what you need done, it shouldn't be that difficult. I know that I wish I would of sas'd my bronco at first rather than putting the 8 ttb lift on it. Everyones situation is different though. I could of saved a lot of money...

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I could of saved a lot of money...
that's my fear, i don't want to put new BJs and bushings and small lift on the TTB to go wheeling and blow it all apart as i haven't had it offroad yet and much of it leaks and doesn't look like it's been touched in a decade

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
that's my fear, i don't want to put new BJs and bushings and small lift on the TTB to go wheeling and blow it all apart as i haven't had it offroad yet and much of it leaks and doesn't look like it's been touched in a decade
Keep in mind the solid axle will probley need to be rebuilt as well. And its NOT cheap. It sounds like money is a issue for you at this time. If that is truly the case then it might be better for you to pass until you have more funds for such a project because you can expect to pay 700-800 for a very cheap sas. But if you can swing the 150 for the axle now(without putting you in a money bind) and put it away until years down the road then that would be fine IMO.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
There was a time when I though a SAS was years down the road. An opportunity for a fully rebuilt geared and locked 8 lug D44 fell in my lap for $300 and I passed it up. I kick myself everyday for not buying it.

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
I passed up a deal like that once too. Now I'm doing it the hard, expensive way. :smilie_slap
I scrapped 2 10.25 semi floaters and now I cant find a rear axle with vss for less than $300

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
:toothless

I wonder what happened to that axle....

If you've got the cash to waste, why not? You can probably sell it for at least what you get for it...

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Hey right,

I would agree do what it best for you. If you think that it is a good price then buy it. SLOWLY rebuild it and spread out the cost alittle. Then if you want to put it in then you can and if you decide it's not for you then sale it.

Thats my .02

1 - 15 of 15 Posts