Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This wasn't on my Top Ten list of problems last month but now I'm trying to fine-tune a couple of stupid things. I asked the guys who installed the brand new engine the other day and they had no clue how it happened. Whatever. Anyone else experience (stupid sh*t) like this before? Is it replaceable? Cuz I don't like the idea of having to use a filter wrench to put one on.....

·
green ones make me horny
11,136 Posts
yes it is replaceable. it just screws into the block. well mine did anyways

·
my bko ate my money
2,319 Posts
ya you should be able to put a allen wrench inside of it to remove it

·
Premium Member
3,521 Posts
Looks like someone put it on with a pipewrench.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's a little update.........for any one who gives a damn;

Found the part at Vellio's Machine Shop----$7.00.

Had a hell of a time getting it out. Vise grips were useless given that there's not a lot of room to work in. Got on the phone looking for a larger nut extractor than my Sears #10 that I had. Hard to find by itself, everyone sold them in sets. Kragen had some universal thing that I didn't see personally but it was $30.00.

Talked to my local Ace Hardware people---they didn't have any either but one of the salesman is a mechanic so he loaned me his this morning. Worked perfect, took only a minute. But wow, that sucker was in there.

Anyways fwiw, the threads for the oil filter itself are 3/4" x 16 threads (fine). I found this out because I was thinking of buying two nuts for it and then taking a ratchet/socket to them to back it out. Unfortunately (as you'll see) the threads were smashed so bad I'd never get any nuts on them without first splurging on an $11.00 die to clean the threads. And to answer some earlier questions there was no internal Allen head cap screw inside of this. It's just perfectly round like a pipe, about 1/2" inside diameter. The tool I borrowed was a 'Blue Point' #TSFSY241A. It's also a 3/8" drive. The guy said it was Snap On but I don't know. To install this thing I turned it by hand as hard as I could the used a piece of towel and Vise Grips to snug it up a tiny bit more. Whether it comes back out the next time I remove the filter remains to be seen. Hope this helps some one.

Here's some pics of the old and the new.........

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,192 Posts
I think it means that for a gasser, it's ok to just hand tighten filters, but for a diesel, it would just rattle loose(if only hand tight). (personally, I can get a filter very tight just by using my hands :shrug)

KC

·
Registered
94 Posts
Seen that when i worked at the wal-mart TLE in hurst Tx. ( If u like your truck dont ever go there) One of the new techs there was down in the pit and was complaining about the filer would not go on, HUMMM wonder why. The sad thing is that he was not fired, not even written up he actually got promoted 2 months later to shop manager.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.