Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been a member since 2010, had 3 92-96 F150's over the years, always wanted a Bronco. Last week, I was given a 1992 Bronco that was a former City of Boco Raton, FL vehicle, then someone's beach buggy from 2011 thru 2017. I just wanted to get a few opinions on repairing the rust show in the attached pics. The pics show the worse rust as it is on the driver's and passenger side B-pillars, the inner corner floor supports, rear cross sill and inside bed corners. There is no rust in the floorpans, rockers or tunnel. I have no trouble finding replacement exterior sheet metal just not seeing some of the inner structure metal online. Any ideas on where to find? Am I wasting time and money on this Bronco even though it's free? Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
435 Posts
Your best bet would be to find a better used body tub. There is nothing available aftermarket for most of what you show. It would require a lot of hand fabrication to repair. Find a better used Bronco and keep this one for spare parts maybe.

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
743 Posts
Your best bet would be to find a better used body tub. There is nothing available aftermarket for most of what you show. It would require a lot of hand fabrication to repair. Find a better used Bronco and keep this one for spare parts maybe.
I’ll second that! All in favor?

·
Resident Nice Guy
2,208 Posts
Cut the roof off and commit to the beach life until it finishes it's conversion into a pile of iron oxide.

·
Registered
332 Posts
There are rust free broncos all over out here in the west cheap. Why mess with fixing the rust

·
Ford-a-Holic
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
4,274 Posts
Been this route before, many times over the years and you just end up chasing your tail. I've fabricated parts and welded them in, glued on new quarter panels, etc... only to have another area rot out in a few years.
If you're happy with the running gear and chassis on your truck, then find another donor as others have mentioned. You may be able to find something in good shape that's tired or something hit in the front (all the front end parts are still available) and swap it over.

Take a look at this thread by another member to give yourself an idea about what you are up against:

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,503 Posts
As someone from a salt state, that is bad even by my standards.

That said I am with the cut the top off, add a roll cage, and keep in a duner opinion. Especially if it was free.

·
Super Moderator
14,530 Posts
If the tub is that bad, I can only imagine what condition the frame must be in..I'm sure all the body mounts, core supports and whatnot are shot..

personally I wouldn't spend the $$ or time to fix..check craigslist, there are a bunch of project Broncos available in state that are in much better condition.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for all the feedback. I had a feeling after looking at the rust and not finding repair panels needed that this was not going to be worth repairing.

Jermil01, The frame, body mounts and suspension mounting points are all in good shape, so are the floor boards.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts