Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
exhaust help

yeah i know there is a sticky but i really wanted to know by personal opinions what would sound better/louder

duel flomasters 40s or duel straights from the cat back? 93 351 with differnt cam..

·
Roll Tide!
2,691 Posts
dual mufflers compared dual straights will be a HUGE difference. having the dual straights assuming you keep both cats will be pretty loud whereas the dual flowmasters will be alot quieter.

as far as cat-backs go the best setup for loudness is to just run no cats and single in dual out muffler. honestly im not a big fan of flowmaster, ive got a single in dual out Thunderbolt muffler and its got plenty of volume and good deep rumble. sounds like an old mustang.

·
Registered
55 Posts
i got dual straights, well empty mufflers so itl pass inspection, but it sound good. its loud but itl be better when the cats get some miles on em. but i guess its a matter of personal opinion. im not a fan of flowmaster or mufflers in general. look at the sticky theres all kinds of setups see which ones you like the most.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah one thing is your also payin for the name flowmaster. my sis has true dual super 40s on her tahoo 350 and it sounds great and pretty loud. but i want somethin that youll hear cumin.thanks.. any more opinions?

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
If you want it really loud

you gotta get rid of the two factory cats and go to a larger single cat or better yet (for louder sound anyway), take the cat out of the equation.

That's just for finding the particular sound you like. As far as power, torque and mileage goes, a cat back won't do jack for you(just mine your wallet). You gotta go to a more efficient Y-pipe.

SIxlitre

·
Registered
55 Posts
my first set up was the a single high flow cat into a straight pipe that split for duel 3.5in tips and it was loud, now i have true duels with a high flow cat on each side with straight pipes and its louder and deeper, the lenght and diameter of the tips also affects how loud it will be cause it echos

·
Registered
133 Posts
Eh its all a matter of personal opinion. Personally I like the sound of straight pipes every once in a while (offroading and feelin rowdy):rockon

But my truck being a daily driver, I'd either get tired of the loudness or get pulled over so I'm running glasspacks. Eventually I plan to run a cutoff Y pipe right before the cat so I can quickely change my tune :thumbup

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Search. There's a topic about this same stuff on the first or second page in both tech sections.

You'll find a clip of my truck screaming doing donuts with shorties/bassani y pipe/3" turn down, and how i liked/hated it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have dual exhaust, 1 cat on each, (make sure you get metal racing cats, ones you can practicly almost see through) , not the aspestos crap. then i ran 2-1/2 al the way duel to each side at the back, then a 5 inch cannon on each side sticking straight out, you can put your arm down them there so big. i get a tremendous sound & & even suckback when it changes gear close to full throttle.
cats i got off ebay 2nd hand from a smashed racing car for 50 & stainless cannon muflers were 150 each. cost me 550 to put them all on at the shop. but this is Aussie prices.

Remember, to get that bolt really tight....STRIP IT............THEN BACK IT OFF 2 TURNS

·
Registered
453 Posts
i have true duals with 40 series and i love the way it sounds. its fairly loud to my dad drove it the other day and i was home and i heard it comin a fair disztance away.

·
Registered
116 Posts
dual-in dual-out

ive got 3" mandrels, no cats, dual-in dual-out flowmaster, dual 4" crome tips.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts