Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had issues with the manifold on the pass side leaking so now im in the process of taking it all apart back to the muffler. Ordered a set of summit headers and a magnaflo ypipe/ cat to put on. So from what ive read i shouldnt have a problem with fitment from header to ypipe.

Damn summit wouldnt ship the ypipe to CA cuz its not ca legal.. waaaa. easily bypassed. lol. glad i have family in other states. besides my bronco isnt licensed in ca. so anyhow its here now.

started tearing it apart tonight after it cooled down to maybe 100. sux trying to take it apart in this heat we are having. So anything i may need to watch for or do that i havent thought of? im hoping in the next 2 weeks to get the cat back system to add to it.

heres a question... anybody know why that ypipe isnt ca legal.. it comes with a cat? maybe its a hiflo cat and ca doesnt like that?

im hoping i get the rest taken apart fri nite and start on putting it together loosely

wish me luck.. hate dealing with rusted exhaust nuts and bolts. lol

·
penis
3,320 Posts
Things to watch out for cracked manifolds for one remove from the top, rust and lots of it, When I took mine off my 89 I just cut from the muffler forwards dropped the whole thing raised the front and dragged it out.

Now for the y-pipe summit is/are a bunch of asses when I ordered (well tried to order a y pipe) they wouldn't sell it to me unless it came with a cat or I bought a cat. Now the cat you have maynot be CARB compliant if it isn't they still should have shipped it and sent you a disclaimer that it will not meet you local emission standards. and that all warr. are void and nonvallid.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
The real thing the smog shops will care about is the cat - the magna cat that comes with the Y is probably not CARB compliant, which means illegal in CA.
Technically the Y is also illegal, but never heard of anybody getting failed for it.
Get a good 3 stage hi flow cat that is CARB compliant.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah summit wouldnt ship t to a ca address. then i was gonna pay for it and ship to my parents in another state first and since my card hard a Ca address they wouldnt do that either.

What if it was going on an offroad vehicle only? guess they still wouldnt. They didnt care that my bronco isnt registered in Ca.. NO CA.. lol. where theres a will theres a way.

ive been listening to some of the exhuast sound clips.. think im going with the 3 chamber flowmaster. nice throaty sound to it. Thats what i had on my 5.0 mustang b4 and loved them.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well thought i put it all together good and all.. started it up and it was popping at idle. got it back to my place but it died on me twice. when i got back i looked at the cat and it was glowing red.

so what im guessing it was a lean pop and i may have ruined the cat.. uuughhh. at least its an ez replacement. BUT im so tired of it im sending it to a shop. I think i may have disconnected a vacuum line but some of them are so brittle u touch them and they break.

this was a supposed to be an ez thing.. NOPE.. lol

·
penis
3,320 Posts
your cat maybe fine check your plug wires first sounds like they are loose or insulation burnt. Replace all bad vac lines double check and make sure the header bolts going into the heads are tight.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im wondering if i may have done somethin to the fuel pressure reg vac line.. thats gonna be my first thing im gonna check when i get home in a few days. i put all new wires on so i know the wires are good. but yeah gonna check and make sure they are on tight.

·
Registered
561 Posts
had issues with the manifold on the pass side leaking so now im in the process of taking it all apart back to the muffler. Ordered a set of summit headers and a magnaflo ypipe/ cat to put on. So from what ive read i shouldnt have a problem with fitment from header to ypipe.

Damn summit wouldnt ship the ypipe to CA cuz its not ca legal.. waaaa. easily bypassed. lol. glad i have family in other states. besides my bronco isnt licensed in ca. so anyhow its here now.

started tearing it apart tonight after it cooled down to maybe 100. sux trying to take it apart in this heat we are having. So anything i may need to watch for or do that i havent thought of? im hoping in the next 2 weeks to get the cat back system to add to it.

heres a question... anybody know why that ypipe isnt ca legal.. it comes with a cat? maybe its a hiflo cat and ca doesnt like that?

im hoping i get the rest taken apart fri nite and start on putting it together loosely

wish me luck.. hate dealing with rusted exhaust nuts and bolts. lol
Hi shokwave30,

I am in the same boat as you with a 90 5.0L and a cracked passenger side exhuast manifold. I was wondering if you would care to share the part numbers you got into your 5.0L as I have been reading here how some people had to custom fab their own Y pipes to connect to the exhaust manifolds. I have not found anything [so far] that has which headers work with what Y pipe except your post... I am in NJ and should not have a problem with Summit sending me the setup.. :rockon

Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts