Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Heat Riser..and some info

First, some info. I recently bought a '87 bronco XLT 4x4 with 107,000. It is rust free and not a dent to be found. It is completely stock with the 351 (carb'd) and auto. I am the second owner. This thing really is amazing, I even found the original window sticker in the glovebox, along with every receipt since new. Incindentally, it sold for $20,215.00 new; according to the sales contract. Anyway, here is my question. The exhaust control valve on the drivers side manifold leaks badly and I don't believe it functions either. Can anyone tell me a good source online for a repalcement? Also, what kind of work am I looking at for replacing?

Oh yeah, I paid $400.00 for it because it didn't run. I put in new plugs and it fired right up. :rockon

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One more question. It has a Holley 700 CFM Street carb. Is this too much for the 351HO? It seems to run a bit rich at times.

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
611 Posts
You should still be able to get the exhaust control valve thru Ford or if not a regular parts supplier. Holley carbs tend to run rich and it can only be changed by some internal modification. the 4180 Holley that is installed on that engine has sealed idle misture screws which can be accssed by breaking out the seal plugs. There is risk when doing that to screwing up the carb perminantly. I replaced my 4180 with a 4160, which is basically the same carb without the seals and without the bowl vents. The next time I will go with a Holley truck avenger since it has some better characteristics than the 4160. They are all tunable, but you need to start educating yourself on how to deal with them. Get a good Holley book and here is a sight that will get you up and running on Holleys in a hurry http://www.bob2000.com/carb.htm
and this one also http://www.flemworld.com/Hto/CMod.html

Good luck,

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help, it is appreciated! The owners manual and the carb have a part number of 0-80457S. Is this the 4180 or 4160?

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
611 Posts
nuker said:
Thanks for the help, it is appreciated! The owners manual and the carb have a part number of 0-80457S. Is this the 4180 or 4160?
Ford only used the 4180 4BBL on that engine. It was a special production carb just for Ford. The maine visual difference is the vent tubes connected to the float tanks 4180 has them the 4160 does not. They are for collecting any fumes that are the result of gas evaporating from the float tanks when the truck is setting, part of the evaporative emissions system, and if you wanted to keep it the tanks are interchangable, just clean it up real good and buy a kit to replace the gaskets and and valves.

:thumbup

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
611 Posts
Here is a picture of a 4180 and a 4160 FYI

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, it's the bottom one (pic). It was replaced in 2002. Cost was $350.00 from the receipt. Thanks again for the info.

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
611 Posts
nuker said:
Yep, it's the bottom one (pic). It was replaced in 2002. Cost was $350.00 from the receipt. Thanks again for the info.
Just so there is no confusion the bottom is the 4160. You can adjust the idle mixture, with the screws on the sides of the front tank. Running mixture takes a little more work.

:thumbup

·
Super Moderator
29,153 Posts

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
611 Posts
miesk5 said:
exhaust control valve on the drivers side manifold leaks badly
is this what you need?
if not. look it up at the PCI site
I believe what he is talking about is the valve that is between the driver side exhaust manafold and the exhaust pipe. It diverts exhaust back into the intake when the engine is cold.

·
Registered
251 Posts
exhaust heat control valve. Had to replace mine last year. You don't really need it. You can take it out and run headers if you need to. If you're staying stock, might as well just keep it on there.

*i know the threads a lil dated, but been searching for some info*

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.