Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
dump it

I have a 3 in exhaust including 3 inch cats with a flowmaster 40 series dumped right before the rear axle. it sounds mean as hell goin down the road and tearing up the local hot spots. i also have a 3 electronic exhaust cutout to dump the exhaust with no muffler on a switch whenever johnny law is around

·
Call Me Ace
1,953 Posts
how much is one of those cut-outs? i saw it on spike tv and ive been trying to find it- but no dice...
ace

·
Registered
49 Posts
try quicktimeperformance.com my cutout was $300 for the complete kit and my local muffler shop welded it in place for 20 bucks. It sound mean when i am pullin trailers up hill and tearin throught the dirt

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
I don't really like my turn-down.

It makes too much interior noise at 70 mph on the highway, but thats not what pisses me off the most. The dust kills me. If you run in really powdery sand/silt stay away from turn-downs. I'm thinking of running mine out in front of the rear tire.

Bassani Y, 3" in/out Magnaflow cat, 3" in/out Magnaflow straight muffler (the cat is doing most of the hush work), turned down in front of the axle.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My dump doesn't bother me, but the cats do, so i plan on gettin rid of them. There is more dust in the sand but i am usually movin so it doesn't bother me. gorund clearance is great and thats what i need the most. interior noise isn't all that bad.

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
When the rocks are covered in a thick layer of the really fine sand, and you are mashin the hell outta the loud pedal trying to get through a tough section, being able to see would be wonderful. :banghead

Wonder if it would be better if I turned it upside down . . . :toothless

·
Registered
49 Posts
i guess it all comes down to preference. i spend my time out in the california desert, and soem of the sand dunes, along with a few mud pits. my dump hasn't caused me any problems and the only problem i have had with my exhaust cutout is i ran the wires to close to the exhaust and just had to rerun them

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
Nah, if you're moving along at a pretty godd clip, everthing is cool. When you slow down, like technical stuff, it gets to be a hassle.

·
Registered
49 Posts
i am 21 yrs old and luv my loud bronco. teveryone knows when i am flyin by on the freeway and the MPs will know when i am pullin onto the base. I can't wait to get the cats cut off. she will sound better with the stroker and supercharger.

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
I've got stock cats, a magnaflow muffler and a turn down. I like it and i've yet to break it off.

·
Registered
251 Posts
yah i am running 1 cat right now, it does silence alot of it. But took out the 2nd one and replaced it with piping. Then have a flowmaster y pipe heading into 2 flow 40's. They dump right before the axles. Haven't put any tips or anything on it, but it does kinda suck during the summer. I want to finish it up somehow, but haven't had time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
OK DON'T run it stright back if drive with you back window down you willsuck fewms real bad i dumped behind the back tire and i love it the bumper protects the tips with no problen.

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Muddman4x4 said:
OK DON'T run it stright back if drive with you back window down you willsuck fewms real bad i dumped behind the back tire and i love it the bumper protects the tips with no problen.
My stock rear bumper never did anything but get hung up in the dirt and twist on impact. My stock exhaust was sacraficed in a 4 ft deep snow pile

·
FJ80 Expedition Rig
1,461 Posts
I have shorty headers running into a single cat, and splitting off into two flowmaster 40s with turndowns that dump about 1ft before the rear axle. Sounds mean as hell, and the noise has never bugged me ( probably has to do with the 1600w amp and 2 12s :toothless )

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
i've got 3 inch y and cat and flow 40 dualed out side in front of rear tire. with these flatish tips that are renforced and right up 1/4 inch from the body. i had the same cat and muffler set up before but with no pipes after the muffler. that was awsome sounding. at idle and when i reved it up. but on freeway drives it gave me a headache. the way it is now i think these tips make it sound a bit weird. but it is still loud enough for me. just wish the pipes were more protected

ideal set up i think is 3 inch pipes, cat, muffler exiting through the body with the pipe going over the frame. if you look at it right in front of the rear wheel well there is a bit of body you can trimm and squeeze it through there. it's what i would have done if i'd of had a decent shop do it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
It all depends if you wanna smell like gas everytime you drive it.

·
Southeast Utah Native
920 Posts
There is a very good reason most states have a law requiring that the exhaust exit be outside of the passenger compartment of the vehicle, which is the entire vehicle on a Bronco. CO poisoning is a very serious and often fatal condition. So the stock location is the safest, best place for the exhaust to exit, and will keep you from being hassled by the law in most states.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts