Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1987 Bronco with the 302 and was wondering a good exhaust set-up for it. I would like to get a good sound from it plus I suspect that one or both my Cats are clogged, since it is the stock factory cats. What happens with the oxygen sensor if I do away with cats? Its a heated oxygen sensor, so does it need the heat from a cat? Or if I go with the Catco y-pipe and converter, can I get a good exhaust sound by eliminating one of the converters? Or do I need Bassani with the bigger pipes? Because right now, I can run straight pipe from the cat and its not that loud. I am thinking of getting Thrush Welded or spending on a flowmaster muffler. I do not want to mess with headers. But, everything below the manifolds is fair game. What should I do?
Thanks-

·
Age. Fac ut gaudeam
3,881 Posts
People here swear by a y-pipe. Do you want loud? Toned? Or quiet? Do you wish to remain in emissions? What type of performance?

Straightpipe is the easiest way, and it's loud. Just get a bung for the 02 sensor to stick in the straightpipe.

A good 3way catalytic converter keeps you legal.

A good y-pipe(Catco, Bassani, make your own etc.) is what most people here scream is the perfect thing for these Broncos.

If you want loud but with a mean rumble and tone like a muscle car, then run 3in duals down with a pair of Cherrybomb Glasspacks, have the glasspacks be the end or add turndowns/pretty tips whatever)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do not want to run duals even though they are nice. I guess I do need to run a cat to stay legal, but they quiet things down a lot. With the catco y pipe by eliminating the second cat, does it make it much louder? The engine is stock with stock manifolds, so would I get much benefit of going higher than 2 1/4 inch pipe? Problem is catco's y pipe exits 2 1/4. Does pipe size affect sound much?

·
Age. Fac ut gaudeam
3,881 Posts
I do not want to run duals even though they are nice. I guess I do need to run a cat to stay legal, but they quiet things down a lot. With the catco y pipe by eliminating the second cat, does it make it much louder? The engine is stock with stock manifolds, so would I get much benefit of going higher than 2 1/4 inch pipe? Problem is catco's y pipe exits 2 1/4. Does pipe size affect sound much?
Yeah, pipe size affects sound , if you want a louder tone then go bigger. But that doesn't mean you have to strap on a 5in exhaust piping, 3inch seems to be the best for these trucks.

·
Registered
9,788 Posts
a really long tip at the end of the pipe thats rather large will reverberate and make the sound much louder.

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,787 Posts
3" single with a straight through cherry bomb, thats what I have and it turned out great. I did keep the factory y-pipe and pre cat for now but the exhaust pipe and muffler with the hangers cost me around 85 -90 bucks. It sounds good and isn't to loud either, nice and deep tone and only loud if you stomp on the skinny pedal.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The factory y pipe exits with 2 1/4 pipe. So, would I get any benefit of getting the catco y pipe and step up to 3 inch from the 2 1/4 inch outlet? The Bassani is perfect for what I'm doing but the price is real steep and I don't know how legal it is.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts