Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinking of routing my exhaust to before my back tires, but was wondering if this is illegal, especially in tx...? another thing - when im driving down the road with just the rear exit, if i roll down that window - fume city.... so if i move them to this area, will the fumes still get in? thanks a lot everyone (in advance! :thumbup )

--ric

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Legally it's your exhaust is supposed to exit like it was from the factory. But I think it's more of who inspects it and who you know. Some people might not care as long as you have all your smog junk, some people might not care at all, some people might hold to the book/law and not pass you until it's out the back.

·
Registered
131 Posts
If you route them before the rear tires you will get the smell, and bad, I recently routed mine on an angle just before the rear bumper and get no smell at all. Hope this helps:D
[/IMG]

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that is how i have mine now and when that back window is down, it smells like ass....... :shrug

·
Registered
131 Posts
sorry to hear that, I had mine out the side after the rear tires, and thats when mine smelled bad since i put them where they are now i get no smell at all, even with the window down, and my rig stinks bad, i feel sorry for the people behind me with their eyes watering, especially when i get into the pedal.:confused:

·
Snow Bunny
841 Posts
i have stock exahust on my 95 and did on my 90, the only time i had problems with the back window pullin in fumes, was when the window was open without the fronts bein cracked

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, just talked to a guy that actually HAS IT DONE on his truck, and said that it doesnt let off ANY smell (better than when he had rear exit, front windows up OR down), and it is completely legal... the law is that it has to be past the cab compartment... thanks for all your help though guys :thumbup

--ric

·
Registered
454 Posts
what is that smell? i have it on my 89 bronco and can barly drive with the rear window down.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,871 Posts
Bad Smell means your truck is running like CRAP!
Time for a major tune up folks. I run ZERO emmisions equiptment on my truck and get no smell, black smoke or any indication that the truck is modifyed. Only clue to it not being stock is by how fast it goes :D

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
southerntrax said:
what is that smell? i have it on my 89 bronco and can barly drive with the rear window down.
no, your truck is running fine... if you get smell when the back window is down, most of the time it is just exhaust fumes... ask ANYONE on the site with rear exit exhaust, and they'll tell you the same... just exhaust fumes... smells like ass though!

also, i just got a tune-up in june, sooooooooo...

--ric

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,871 Posts
2 possibilities if your "truck smells like ass"

1) You are an idiot that exaggerates the smell of regular exhaust.

2) You’re engine is still not in tune. I have...
NO cats
NO EGR
NO Smog pump
NO charcoal canister
But because my truck is in perfect tune it runs great, smells stock, and doesn't offend anyone when all the windows are down.
Perfect tune means I have a custom EFI program and a good regular tune up.

So if your truck truly smells like "ass" then you need to FIX IT! or GROW UP!

·
FSB warrior
6,116 Posts
Project Lazarus said:
Legally it's your exhaust is supposed to exit like it was from the factory.
Thats legally in your state.... my 81 didnt come with 2 1/2 pipes sticking out each side behind the tires, yet where im at it is completely legal cuz it terminates after the back seat.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fireguy50 said:

NO cats
NO EGR
NO Smog pump
NO charcoal canister
But because my truck is in perfect tune it runs great, smells stock, and doesn't offend anyone when all the windows are down.

one would possibly know since he has worked at an exhaust shop for almost 14 years, so maybe you should grow up... im through. but thanks anyways :thumbup

as for 81bronk36, :stupid

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,871 Posts
exhaust shop for almost 14 years? Wow now that makes you an expert :twak If an exhaust shop told me my truck smelled like ass and it couldn't be fixed I'd never go there agian!

·
Registered
454 Posts
damn sorry i ticked u off dude. i was just curious. i thought it might be a bad converter or something. and i just tuned my truck up 3 weeks ago and got the same old smell coming out of it. but it might be just a normal exhaust smell that i am not used to considering this is only my second truck and my 84 before this one with a inline 6 ran so damn rich that u could smell it a mile away and that was definitly the only thing i smelled window up or down.

thanks ya'll

also considering my motor has over 200,000 miles on it, i would quess that it would smell alittle. but hey it dosen't smoke a bit so atleast i got that going for me:shrug

·
Registered
112 Posts
Fireguy50 said:
Bad Smell means your truck is running like CRAP!
Time for a major tune up folks. I run ZERO emmisions equiptment on my truck and get no smell, black smoke or any indication that the truck is modifyed. Only clue to it not being stock is by how fast it goes :D
That is awesome! :thumbup That is what I am aiming for...except for the lift I am gonna put on.

And if you have only the rear window down, the exhaust fumes will enter the truck. If you want air to flow through the truck so that you don't smell it, roll down all your windows. Monoxide = bad for your brain.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Fireguy50 said:

NO cats
NO EGR
NO Smog pump
NO charcoal canister

Or it could be the cats, if you have them. My brother's truck smelt like rotten eggs before he put the headers and orig. heads to the motor on. Truck tuned right, etc., etc. It just smelled horrible.

Thats legally in your state.... my 81 didnt come with 2 1/2 pipes sticking out each side behind the tires, yet where im at it is completely legal cuz it terminates after the back seat.
Probably. Besides, I didn't say it had to be exactly like factory...Guess it's all in who interprets it.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,871 Posts
southerntrax said:
damn sorry i ticked u off dude. i was just curious. i thought it might be a bad converter or something. and i just tuned my truck up 3 weeks ago and got the same old smell coming out of it. but it might be just a normal exhaust smell that i am not used to considering this is only my second truck and my 84 before this one with a inline 6 ran so damn rich that u could smell it a mile away and that was definitly the only thing i smelled window up or down.

thanks ya'll

also considering my motor has over 200,000 miles on it, i would quess that it would smell alittle. but hey it dosen't smoke a bit so atleast i got that going for me:shrug
I'm not ticked off, just stating the facts. Engines don't need converters to smell nice. It does help and yours may be bad. But I have 3" exhaust with a Flowmaster ZERO cat and it was very easy to make it run nice, smell normal, and apear stock. Jsut takes some effort.
For the record people that think a truck normally smells like ass and it can't be fixed piss me off. Igrnorance at it's highest :toothless :goodfinge

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
swamp thang said:
one would possibly know since he has worked at an exhaust shop for almost 14 years, so maybe you should grow up... im through. but thanks anyways :thumbup
if you worked at an exhaust shopfor 14 or whatever years, than why are you here asking questions about exhaust?

fireguy50-->:twak <--your moronic self

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
well can you just clear this up for me real quick....what does it smell
like when it is running rich? any other smell i should worry about?
ever since my tailpipe broke off where it bent to go behind the rear tire
it has been coming up the window and somebody said it was runnin
rich and i wanna know how to tell. thanks for the help

1 - 20 of 20 Posts