Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 77 250 with a 400. It has the stock mani's on it and i want some heddman headers. I live in PA and its about 30 degrees out. Please give me the best way to get them out with out snappin a bolt. Should i warm the engine up for a few mins?? Spray PB blaster?? I don't want to heat it up too much and then they snap, but don't want them to snap from it bein so cold out. It needs all new exhaust and I want to go ahead and replace it all since i have the time and money to do it all.

·
Premium Member
4,163 Posts
Unlike the old FE motors, the exhaust manifold bolts on the 40s seldom ever get stuck in the head or the exhaust manifold..the worst thing that happens is the heads rust until they are undersized and you round them off with your wrench. Use a 6-point socket and you should be fine. IF a head is undersized too badly due to rust, we simply cut the head off with the torch and what is left comes out with yr fingers after the manifold is off. Sometimes you can force a 14mm metric socket on a rusted bolt head ..said socket being slightly smaller than the 9/16 socket that should fit them.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
do yourself a favor and grab some stage8 fasteners for your headers. you will like them.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
alrighty, I will take both of ya'lls advice, thanx

·
Registered
469 Posts
Your safest bet is to take you time. Let the engine heat up 1st and if any bolts start to act difficult, grab the torch! Works everytime.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
:stupid it works

·
Registered
106 Posts
Has anyone ever tried heating a rusted bolt and then spray penitrating oil? I don't know how well it works for header bolts, but it has work in the past on other rusted together nuts and bolts. The heat seems to suck the oil into the threads. Just a thought. Again don't know if it will work for header bolts..

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
desertrat_666 said:
Has anyone ever tried heating a rusted bolt and then spray penitrating oil? I don't know how well it works for header bolts, but it has work in the past on other rusted together nuts and bolts. The heat seems to suck the oil into the threads. Just a thought. Again don't know if it will work for header bolts..
yup, spray the bolts wait about five minets and spray again then take the fire to it and start undoin.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
no cause if you heat it up first you'll just burn off the oil.

·
Chaos is coming!!
515 Posts
I just removed mine this weekend....bolts were to rusty to do anything with...wound up torching heads off. 8 came out after manifolds were off, 5 had to be heated and 3 snapped off in the head. I have to drill them out yet, but I would also retap the threads in your heads before installing new bolts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts